Top 10 best automatic pet feeder reviews for cats and dogs

If you have more than one pet (we do!), you`ll understand that ensuring your pets are well fed is of utmost importance. Amongst all the daily to-dos, I sometimes feel quite overwhelmed. That`s when my husband suggested an automatic pet feeder. It`s a really convenient way of ensuring that Harley and Lilo`s basic feeding needs are met.

Benefits of Having An Automatic Feeder

Well, automatic feeders work tremendously to support you when you have busy schedules. If you`re a late riser and tend to rush off to work, this will come in handy as you might miss getting your pet’s food ready before you head off to work. Or how about lunch hour? With a feeder, you have a set and forget option at your fingertips and can be at ease that there`s food ready for your pet.

No Time To Read? Here Are My Top 2 Recommendations

Ergo Systems Feeder

Check Price Here

My Rating:

Price Point: $$

​8 program settings and daylight saving feature. A reliable metal self-lubricating nylon auger also ensures the machine works smoothly and quietly and prevents jamming/clogging.

Petsafe Healthy Pet Feeder

Check Price Here

My Rating:

Price Point: $$

Slow Feed Mode feature that dispenses food slowly over 15 minutes​. Can set up to 12 meals a day. Compatible with semi moist foods too.

Both are very close in price and have their good features. When it comes to an auto feeder, I definitely prefer not to purchase the cheaper ones that sometimes have a history of jamming/clogging and not working properly. This is certainly not a joke when it`s relating to our pets` feeding! These 2 that I recommend to my friends and family are very affordable yet very reliable.

Related: Read about pet cameras for your dog/cat.​

Some other perks include: Not having to keep track of times to feed your pet.​ Not having to be alert to stick to a schedule (there are already so many things to keep track of each day!) For elderly pet owners especially, or owners who have physical challenges, it is a much needed solution to help simplify the feeding task.

Also, if you have more than one pet, most feeders these days have a large enough basin to feed multiple cats or dogs.​

What Makes A Good Feeder?​

The 3 main things to keep in mind are: The feeder itself, your pet`s characteristics (breed, size) and your own preferences. Be sure to consider your pet`s size when buying a feeder. Some feeders suit bigger pets (they allow a bigger capacity to hold and dispense more food) while others really suit smaller pets more. Here are some questions you might consider:

1. How efficient is the feeder? Is the capacity big enough so you don`t have to refill so often?
  2. Again, the size of the tank will have to be able to dispense a suitable amount for the size and appetite of your pet.
  3. Is the container and dispenser big enough if you have multiple pets?
  4. What is the kibble size? Some feeders will transmit the food through a tube, then pour it out. If the kibble you use is too big to let it through, it might get stuck. Some better feeders come with adjustable parts for this. So make sure to pay attention to the shape of your kibble as it is a significant factor. If it’s round there will be no problem at all, but if it’s square or any other shape, it might get stuck inside the tube.
  5. For foods that are longer stored inside the feeder, an air tight hopper is a must.
  6. Some dogs have health issue, so feeders that have better control on food quantity per serve might be the best option.

Here are my Top 10 Tried & Tested Picks (In no particular order)

Auto Pet Feeder by Ergo Systems

This small automatic feeder was designed to feed small pets, like a cat and a small dog. It can be programmed to release small quantities, such as 4 to 5 kibbles of food if necessary. With adjustable meal servings, it’s suitable for a pet with health problems that needs to be monitored. Slow dispensing of food prevents kibbles from piling up and also prevents the pets from eating too fast, suffering afterward from indigestion and bloat.

• Tank Size: 5lbs
  • Type of Food: Dry foods only
  • Serving size: can be programmed for a small quantities such 4 to 5 kibbles of food if need.
  • Meals per day: 8
  • Timer: digital timers with battery backup for programs
  • Power: works with AC adapter and with batteries as backup for programs

Video: Pet Feedster Automatic Cat & Dog Pet Feeder - Unboxing, Assembly, Setup & Review

Check Price Here

Automatic Dry Food Pet Feeder by Cat Mate

Perfect for smaller pets, this unit can be easily set for a small serving of dry foods. Easy to wash (just chuck all parts in the dishwasher), it also comes with an easy to program LCD control. If you have a cheeky pet who loves tampering with gadgets like these, this unit has a tamper-proof feeding nozzle. I also like the snap lock lid which is conveniently pet proof as well.

• Tank size: 6.5lbs
  • Type of food: Dry foods only
  • Serving size: Minimum of 2 teaspoons (10g) and upwards
  • Meals per day: 3
  • Timer: Easy to program using the LCD control
  • Power: Works with 4 C batteries (not included)

Video: Automatic Pet Feeder for Dogs and Cats - Pet Feedster Programming

Check Latest Price Here

Diamond Series V3 by Crown Majestic

This feeder comes in a complete unit, with a water dispenser (detachable drinking bottle) as well. It also comes with a drinking bowl, and extender container and even allows you to record a personal voice message (12 seconds) to alert your pet when food is dispensed. It is well designed to be stable and difficult to tip over. I find the backlit display pretty cool and it also displays the time and number of meals.

• Tank size: 4.4lbs
  • Serving sizes: automatically dispenses 1/4- 1/2- 3/4- 1 and 2 cups of dry food
  • Meals per day: 4
  • Timer: equal hour intervals. i.e 1 feeding every 24hrs 2 feedings every 12 hrs
  • Power: works with 4 AA batteries as primary source (not included) and with AC 6V adapter (included) in conjunction as backup
  • Power battery indicator: Yes

Check Latest Price Here

Eatwell 5-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder by PetSafe

This is another design made by PetSafe - it`s a very popular option because it can provide up to 5 meals, which can be set for everyday use.

Dogs cannot easily turn this unit over, as it’s quite big and flat - it is really quite stable indeed. The tray is really easy to wash (just pop in the dishwasher), and I do appreciate that I can include wet foods as well.

• Tank size: 5 x 1-cup capacity chambers
  • Types of food: Dry and wet
  • Serving Sizes: 5 x 1-cup capacity
  • Meals per day: 5
  • Timer: easy to set digital timer
  • Power: 4 D-cell batteries (not included)
  • Battery indicator: No

Check Latest Price Here

6-Meal Automatic Pet Feeder by Qpets

Featuring 6 compartments (6 feeds a day!) and a function to record a 6 second message for your pet, this unit also has a built in clock. Fill the compartments with either dry or wet foods. I have to say I do love the design as well as the secure lid lock.

• Tank size: 3/4 to 1 cup
  • Type of food: Dry and wet
  • Serving Size: 3/4 cup to 1 cup
  • Meals per day: 6
  • Timer: Built-in clock with easy to read LCD. Records a 6 second personal message for your pet. Can only be set in one hour intervals and it will only program at the top of the hour (11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, etc...).
  • Power: 4 C-cell batteries
  • Battery Indicator: Yes

Check Latest Price Here

Lentek 6-Day Automatic Pet Dish by Koolatron

This feeder allows you to select intervals of 6, 12 or 24 hours. It also comes with a removable lid and 2 inserts which comes in handy when one is being washed.

• Tank Size: 2/3 cup dry or 5 1/2 ounces wet
  • Types of Food: Dry and wet
  • Serving Size: 2/3 cup dry or 5 1/2 wet
  • Meals per day: 6
  • Timer: Selectable feeding intervals of 6, 12 or 24 hours

Check Latest Price Here

Aspen Le Bistro Portion-Control Automatic Pet Feeder

Program up to 3 meals a day in sizes of 1/4 to 3 cups for your pet. This is a gravity feeder and helps to control your pet`s weight/obesity by controlling the portions. I also love that it has a microban protection that helps to stop the growth of bacteria and odor. Read my more in depth review of the Le Bistro pet feeder.

3D batteries and power adapter must be bought separately.

• Tank Size: 5lbs
  • Type of Food: Dry only
  • Serving Size: 1/4 to 3 cups
  • Meals per day: 3
  • Timer: Automatic feeder can be programmed to dispense up to 3 meals per day
  • Power: 3 D-cell alkaline batteries

Check Latest Price Here

Eatwell 2 Meal Pet Feeder by PetSafe

Most experts recommended that dogs should be fed twice a day. That is the logic that this Petsafe feeder is based on. If you only feed your dog twice a day, this will be perfect.

Best for small to medium dogs and cats, this feeder allows you to set your timer up to 48 hours in advance.

• Tank Size: 1.5 cups each
  • Types of Food: Dry and wet
  • Serving Size: 1.5 cups each
  • Meals per day: 2
  • Timer: It has a 48 hour timer. You need to reset it after each feeding with no sound

Check Latest Price Here

Bergan Gourmet Feeders and Waterers

This combo set includes a water dispenser as well. Made from durable plastic, both are designed to be sturdy and stable. The food capacity is 13 pounds while the water capacity is 3 gallons. This combo set has no timer though so it`s an easy feeder system if you just need something simple and not so sophisticated to do the job of ensuring food and water is present for your pet when you`re temporarily not around.

• Tank Size: 13lbs
  • Serving Size: Will keep supplying food until empty
  • Meals Per Day: Will keep supplying food until empty
  • Timer: No timer

Check Price Here

PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder

This feeder is like the mega sized of the lot! I love that I can allocate up to 12 meals per day with very flexible meal sizes from 1/8 cup to 4 cups. This makes it extremely suitable for pets of all sizes.

The best feature I have to say is its Slow Feed Mode that slowly dispenses portions greater than 1/8 cup over a 15 minute period. This helps fast gobblers like my dog and helps prevent digestion problems in the long run.​

• Type of Food: Dry kibble and semi-moist foods
  • Serving Size: 1/8 cup to 4 cups
  • Meals per day: 12
  • Timer: Programmable LCD display. Can dispense food in Slow Feed Mode over 15 minutes.

Check Latest Price Here

Introducing Your Pet To A Feeder

Dogs usually adapt a lot faster but it is a good idea to monitor them keenly first because they do have the tendency to try to turn the unit over. From my experience, cats are a little trickier to train with the feeder. Try to place the feeder where you usually feed them, right next to their usual cat bowl.​ You can even try a feeder with sounds to attract the attention of your cat!

Reviews & Comments

Related posts