What are the 5 easiest breeds of dogs to train?

paw-548634_1280

It is excellent that you are doing your research beforehand to determine which animal is best for your family. If having a pet that is highly-trainable is high on your list, then hopefully this article will make that choice much easier for you.

Despite what anyone may say, every dog breed is trainable. However, in my experience, I have found that some catch on faster. It’s like they were born with the wish to obey. They find their greatest delight in having a purpose, and eagerly await your next command so that they can do that, too.

A lot of these breeds are used as working dogs. They seriously love working. For them it is the greatest game and they can’t get enough of it.

By the same token, you need to balance out just how easy a dog is to train with how much mental stimulation is required for their happiness. For example, a German Shepherd will learn quickly, but they also need daily stimulation. Without something that stimulates them constantly they can become quite frustrated and ornery. So you need to recognize that this pet is going to require a lot of quality time from you outside of training time.

The other thing to consider is that some pets have certain “bents”. Australian Cattle Dogs, Border Collies and Blue Heelers are excellent for herding cattle. Even if you don’t train these dogs, they may try to find something (cat, duck, sheep, small children) that they can “herd”. This makes them excellent if you need to train them to herd, but can be frustrating for both you and your dog if you leave them untrained.

Rottweilers, German Shepherds and Pitbulls are often demonized. However, they have an intense desire to protect and please their masters. If they are abused, neglected or untrained, these traits can manifest themselves as aggressiveness. So an owner of one of these pets needs to be strong, firm and gentle.

Knowing the traits of your pet ahead of time can help you choose one that will not have innate traits that will frustrate you. That way you can choose an easily trainable pet that is already aligned with your goals.

Finally, where you buy your dog from can make a huge difference on their future obedience. A breeder that starts conditioning their pups to loud noises, people and crowded places from a young age will provide a pet that is going to be naturally more obedient. In fact, a best breeder will have your puppy trained to basic obedience commands even before they sell.

Choosing a specific breed — over a mixed breed dog — helps you better predict their personality. Here’s the top-ten countdown. This list is based on my opinion. I am a gentle person who only has a limited amount of time to spend with my pet. So I have chosen breeds based on what is important to me.

Disclaimer: These rankings are for entertainment purposes only.

#5 – German Shepherds

german shepherds are not naturally aggressiveThis may very well be the smartest dog breed.  It is no secret that they are the top choice for military and police work and are one of the best breeds for use as a companionship or seeing-eye animal.

However, training German Shepherds takes a firm, gentle individual.  They also need plenty of physical and mental exercise, making them a more demanding breed than most.

Probably the smartest dog on this list, but may require a little more effort from you.

Click Here For The Specialized German Shepherd Training Course That Transforms Dog Behavior Instantly

#4 – Yorkshire Terrier

yorkie puppyIt seems that larger dogs appear to be more intelligent than smaller dogs (ever meet a smart Chihuahua?).  However, among small dogs, Yorkshires pack an incredible amount of smarts into a tiny package.

I’ve often found Yorkshires to be much more alert to their owners and surroundings than other dogs their size.

Alert, playful and not easily scared, Yorkshires may keep their distance from small children in the family but are never aggressive towards them — or anyone for that manner.

Yorkies are so trainable that it is hard to find one that hasn’t learned at least one trick.  If you want a super-smart, hypoallergenic, small dog, the yorkie is sure-fire win.

Click Here For The Yorkie Training Course I Recommend

#3 – Boxers

BoxerBoxers naturally have the wide chest and intense stare that are often associated with more aggressive breeds.  However, they are extremely mild-mannered.

Video: Top 10 Easiest Dog Breeds to Train

Intensely loyal to their family, they often hover near the youngest members, concerned for their well-being. (Check out Youtube for hundreds of adorable videos of Boxers Playing With Babies) They are always on alert for danger and will bark when concerned about something  in order to alert a family member — but are not incessant barkers by any means.

They train extremely well, and are excellent family pets.

Have The Best-Behaved Boxer In Town

#2 – Golden Retrievers

golden retreiverThe retrievers are fiercely battling one another out for these top spots. The Golden Retriever is an energetic, fireball of energy in its beautiful, long coat.

Extremely obedient, this dog is happiest when it is loved by its owners.  Golden Retrievers pour out affection on everything they meet from the ornery chihuahua next door to the loud neighborhood kid. These pets are happiest when those they live around are smiling.

Needless to say, they are extremely loyal and love their family intensely.

Golden retrievers are not only easily trainable, they are beautiful, eye-catching pets.  Get your retriever trained and you’ll be turning heads everywhere you go.

Here’s How Easy It Is To Train Your Golden Retriever

#1 – Labrador Retrievers

yellow labThese medium-sized dogs are playful, lovable and absolutely in love with every human they meet from the time they are born.

Considered a “sporting breed” these dogs are often trained to retrieve game for hunters.  however, they are extremely versatile and have been trained to work as everything from seeing eye and companionship animals to finding lost and buried humans in disasters or as bomb-sniffing dogs.

The nice thing is that even if you don’t train them, they are still lovable and sociable.

Training is, however, pretty essential to getting through their hyper-active puppy years.  Make sure to take some time each week to go throw a frisbee with your Lab.  Their retriever instinct will love returning it to you.

Here’s Everything You Need To Know About Training Labs

Train The Trainer

Any breed can learn, and the best way to speed up a dog’s ability to learn is to speak in their language.

If you can find a comprehensive training course and go through it with your pet, you will learn how to become as better communicator with “man’s best friend”, and your pet will learn exactly how you want them to behave.

If you plan on having your pet for any length of time, the $20 investment and few hour’s of time investment is well worth the years and years of happy co-existence.

doggydanstatic_728x90

Reviews & Comments

Related posts