How to get dog hair out of carpet and furniture

A chocolate labrador sleeping on a beige carpet

Photo credit: © / graphicphoto

When people say that a place has really, “gone to the dogs,” they mean that what once was a lovely spot has taken a very obvious turn for the worse. Of course, as a dog owner, I take great exception to any derogatory reference to my favorite species!

However, every dog owner has probably looked at their home and thought that it has, quite literally, gone to the dogs. (I recently replaced some trim that made it seem like I once owned a small beaver, rather than a Black Lab puppy.)

Of course, even the best-behaved dog can’t help but make its mark on your home- no matter what you do, your Lab will shed hair. And since you can’t prevent it, all you can do is deal with it.

In our ongoing quest to make life with a Lab even more enjoyable than it already is, we are happy to present the best methods of how to get dog hair out of carpet and furniture.

Contents & Quick Navigation

• 2 The Top 6  Ways to Remove Dog Hair From Carpet and Furniture
  • 2.1 Number 1: Pet Hair Vacuums
  • 2.2 Number 2: Rubber Squeegees
  • 2.3 Number 3: Rubber Brooms
  • 2.4 Number 4: Rubber Gloves
  • 2.5 Number 5: Hairbrushes
  • 2.6 Number 6: Carpet Rakes
  • 3 The Hair-Raising Conclusion!
  • 3.1 Jim Wright
  • The ‘Also-Rans’ – Ways That Work, But Not Well!

As with any cleaning dilemma, there are numerous ‘folk-remedy’ solutions for dealing with embedded dog hair.

These include sprinkling baking soda or spraying diluted liquid fabric softener on the carpet before using the vacuum, or using a lightly moistened sponge mop. All of these methods purport to loosen pet hair from the carpet fibers.

I have personally tried the baking soda method, as well as deodorizing powders. And while there were some odor control benefits, I have to stop short of declaring that I actually vacuumed up any more hair than usual.

Wet Cleaning – Rub With a Damp Hand

Another technique I’ve seen recommended requires you to get your hand wet and rub your hand on the carpet or furniture. The hair should gather up into a nice little ball for easy disposal.

Of course, what’s really going to happen is you’re going to end up with a hand covered in wet dog hair, and that is decidedly unpleasant! And, frankly, my hand would be a red, raw, wrinkled disaster long before I managed to clean even a single area rug.

When it comes to wet cleaning methods, I am very reluctant to try anything that adds chemicals to my dog’s environment. Fabric softener in the laundry gets thoroughly rinsed off my clothes. I’ve yet to find an effective method for rinsing a sofa!

Wet methods also run the risk of creating even worse odors- use too much water and it will seep down into the base of the carpet, or into your furniture. Over time, this could create a musty scent – or release the dreaded smell of wet dog!

Sticking To It – Use a Lint Roller or Sticky Tape

Adhesives are another popular choice for clean ups.

Lint rollers seem like a logical way to pick up dog hair, and they can be fairly effective, especially on clothes or small items like throw pillows.

Likewise, sticky tape can be useful for small jobs. Wrap some cheap packing or duct tape in a loop around your hand, sticky side out, and use a blotting motion to lift up hair until there’s no sticky space left.

Video: How To Clean Pet Hair Off Carpet & Furniture!!!!

Both of these methods might work on small areas, but would not be efficient ways to clean a carpet or couch. I’d also be concerned about leaving sticky residue behind, residue that will attract more dog hair!

Now, if you’re ready to get serious about the war on dog hair, read on to discover the very best tips and tricks for removing dog hair from your carpets, rugs, furniture, and more.

The Top 6  Ways to Remove Dog Hair From Carpet and Furniture

Number 1: Pet Hair Vacuums

Lets start with the heavy artillery of dog hair removal – the ‘top dog’ if you will: A pet hair vacuum cleaner.

It’s entirely likely that every single person who reads this article owns a vacuum cleaner. It’s a ubiquitous part of everyone’s household cleaning arsenal for obvious reasons. The unfortunate truth is most of them perform poorly when it comes to extracting dog hair from carpet and furniture fibers.

Many of the top vacuum manufacturers (Bissel, Dyson, Hoover, and more) now offer models specifically designed for pet hair. They range from very expensive full-sized units with specialty tools, to budget-friendly hand vacs designed to fit in tight spaces.

Video: How To Remove Pet Hair, Dog Hair or Cat Hair From Furniture, Rugs and Carpets | El Paso Carpet Clean

If dog hair (or any pet hair) is a major problem in your home (like it is in mine, there being two large, hairy, wonderful dogs sharing our space), then it might make sense for you to consider going all in and investing in one of these bad boys.

The Hair-Raising Conclusion!

As a Lab owner, you learn to take the good with the bad. Shedding hair is an inevitable consequence of being a mammal (as evidenced by my own brush!), and that’s not going to change.

By keeping your home as hair-free as possible, you’re prolonging the life of your carpets and furniture, and maintaining a healthy environment for 4-legged, and 2-legged residents alike.

Armed with your newfound knowledge, you’ll be better prepared to continue the battle against dog hair in your home. Fight the good fight, my friends!

Reviews & Comments

Related posts