A man, a rescue dog & a hummingbird become unlikely trio of best friends

Rexhummingbird

Last year, California man Ed Gernon adopted a ferel Shepherd-mix named Rex. Rex couldn’t be around other dogs, cats and other small animals were prey.

“He was dangerous,” Gernon told CBS Los Angeles. “He was an animal that had learned to live on the streets and to survive on his own hunting ability, I guess.”

Video: A Bear, Lion and Tiger Form an Inseparable Trio

Gernon was shocked, then, when about a month after adopting Rex, the once-ferel, dangerous dog saved the life of a tiny, helpless hummingbird he found barely clinging to life.

“And he suddenly stopped and he would not move,” he recalls. “I mean it’s tiny and it’s dead as far as I’m concerned. It’s covered in ants. It’s got no feathers.”

Video: The Cat and the Rat | Unlikely Animal Friends

Upon closer inspection, Gernon learned the tiny bird was, in fact, still alive. Had it not been for Rex’s persistence, the sick bird would never have survived. Gernon nursed the hummingbird back to health and still cares for the tiny bird today, more than a year after Rex found her.

Video: Man and goose forge unusual friendship

“I rescue this dog. He rescues the bird. The bird rescues all of us in a weird sense and it’s just a miracle,” Gernon said.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts