Foods that are poisonous for dogs

Video: Top 10 Most Dangerous People Foods For Dogs

Some of the foods that are poisonous to dogs are fairlyobvious, but many are common edibles that you probably wouldn`t thinktwice about using - unless you were aware of their dangers.

Video: Six deadly foods for dogs

Puppies in particular are notorious for getting into things theyshouldn`t, and they tend to operate on the assumption that everything isedible until proven otherwise.

If your little guy thinks it`s perfectly okay to eat that cardboard box, he won`t think twice about snacking on anything that you leave lying around!

So, keep Fido safe by making sure he never gets a chance to eat (or drink) any of the poisonous items below......

Dogs should never drink alcohol, not even a sip of beer! Depending onthe amount ingested it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficultybreathing, coma and even death.

Hops (which are in beer) cause an increased heart rate, panting and can lead to seizures and death.

AvocadosAvocados contain a toxin called Persin which can cause vomiting, diarrhea and intestinal problems in dogs.

Candies that contain the sweetener Xylitol can cause a suddendrop in blood pressure, seizures and possible liver failure. Hardcandies of all sorts are the ones most likely to contain Xylitol, but itcan be found in other sweets too.

Chewing Gum
Gum also contains Xylitol (even sugarless gum has it). See `Candy` (above) for symptoms of xylitol poisoning.

Chocolate contains large amounts of natural stimulants called Methylxantines.The darker the chocolate the higher the concentration of thesecompounds and the more danger to your dog. Even white chocolate cancause problems. Cocoa powder has similar dangers and cocoa beans areextremely toxic.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs include nervousness,extreme panting, seizures and possibly death. Be especially carefulduring holidays such as Easter, Halloween and Christmas, when lots ofchocolate and candy is in your home.

You can learn more about what happens when a dog eats chocolate and what to do to keep him safe on my Help - My Dog Ate Chocolate! page.

Citrus Fruits
The peel, pith and seeds of citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes.) can cause irritation in your puppies digestive system,particularly if eaten in large quantities. Grapefruit has the potential to actually be toxic to your dog. The peel, pith and seeds are the most dangerous as they contain chemical compounds which can cause lethargy, depression, diarrhea, vomiting, photo-sensitivity, drooling, trembling and a sensitivity to light. Toxicity can be fatal. If your dog ingests grapefruit have him examined by a veterinarian right away so that you can make sure that he is safe.

Grapes Or Raisins
Your dog can have a bad reaction to either of these, and symptomsinclude fatigue, vomiting, diarrhea and possibly even renal (kidney)failure.

These can contain toxic compounds which can cause serious problems suchas liver/kidney damage, convulsions, coma, and even death.

Iron Tablets Or Other Vitamins
Vitamins that include iron (including pre-natal vitamins)can cause gastro-intestinal irritation causing vomiting and diarrhea.The symptoms may seem to improve but within 12 to 24 hours your dogcould relapse and show signs of shock, depression or seizures and suffer liver damage or kidney failure.

Cigarettes, E-Cigarettes, Nicotine Patches & GumNicotine is highly toxic to dogs and can kill your puppy or dog very quickly. Symptoms (or death) can occur within one hour. Symptoms include vomiting, abnormal heart rate, trembling, loss of co-ordinations and collapse. If treated quickly the damage can sometimes be reversed.

Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts are surprisingly toxic to dogs and can cause temporarily paralysis - which is obviously very dangerous.

Onions & Garlic
These contain a toxin called Thiosulphate. Symptoms of poisoning are usually an upset digestive system followed by general fatigue and weakness.

Thiosulphate affects the red blood cells in your pup`s bodyand within a few days symptoms could progress to include bloodydiarrhea, breathlessness and even death.

Onions are more dangerous than garlic as the toxin is more concentrated. It doesn`t take much to cause poisoning.

Peanut ButterYes, you read that right... peanut butter! This is a new development because recently SOME manufacturers have started adding Xylitol (see above) to their recipes. So, always check the ingredient list closely if your pet is going to be sharing your peanut butter.

Yeast Dough - Uncooked
If uncooked dough expands inside your pups tummy it can cause internaldamage. Also as the dough rises it can form alcohol and result inalcohol poisoning.

Video: 9 Healthy Human Foods That Are Poisonous To Your Dog

What If Your Dog Has Eaten Something Toxic?

With a lot of the above poisonous foods and toxins it doesn`t take very much to make your dog seriously ill.

Video: 10 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

ALWAYS, ALWAYS SEEK VETERINARY ADVICE if you even just think your puppy or dog has ingested dangerous or poisonous foods. Every minute counts in these situations!

If your pet has only ingested a small amount of one of thesepoisonous foods and is experiencing some vomiting, diarrhea or otherfairly mild symptoms, you may be inclined to think that everything isokay.

BUT you should always get veterinary help, or check with yourlocal poison control center, because the real damage may not show upright away.

In some cases symptoms gradually worsen over a period of hours,or even days, and if you `wait and see` it could be too late for yourprecious puppy by the time you seek help.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number is 1-888-426-4435 or 1-800-548-2423.
(There may be a $65 charge for this service)

Being prepared can make all the difference in an emergency situation.

I`d strongly recommend visiting my Dog Posisoningpage to learn more about common household items that are toxic to dogs,and what to do if you suspect your pet has ingested somethingdangerous.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts