2016 Top 5 best professional dog clippers for grooming

Today I’m going to list for you the top five best professional dog clippers as rated by customers, other dog owners and pet groomers. I feel that this list accurately reflects the best products that money can buy, and I personally have used several of them. This is not a dog clippers review, but rather a compilation of best rated products.

How I started using professional dog clippers myself

Top 5 Best Professional Dog ClippersMy dog, Walter, an Australian Shepherd who is perennially cheerful and silly, used to go to a professional dog groomer to get his hair trimmed. He loathed it. It wasn’t the groomer’s fault—she was just doing her job—but Walter openly resented the entire process and the clipper-wielding groomer who was trying to make him look presentable.

Australian Shepherds aren’t small dogs, and having to physically carry him into the grooming studio to be shaved off with professional dog clippers (complete with light pink walls and several vanity mirrors, like a hairdresser for humans would have) was really irritating, albeit somewhat comical- that is if you weren’t the one with your arms full of dog.

We decided to groom our dog at home, where it wouldn’t be so expensive and he wouldn’t complain endlessly. Everyone hated the dog groomer—him because he didn’t like the sound professional dog clippers made when they were cutting his hair and us because we didn’t like him making a federal case about his haircut every six weeks—so out of exasperation, we chose to do it ourselves. The idea behind that plan was that Walter would do less damage if he knew who was grooming him.

We chose an exceptionally quiet tool for the job, the Andis Pet Super AGR professional dog clippers (one of those listed below in my list), and Walter ended up behaving really well. He actually started to fall asleep halfway through. Since then, we no longer take him to a professional dog groomer (something that I’m sure she’s also grateful for) and we do our pet clipping at home.

What are professional dog clippers and why do you need them

Top 5 Best Professional Dog Clippers

If your dog is in need of a new clipping routine like my Walter—if he or she doesn’t like the loudness professional dog clippers make in the studio or the groomer’s voice—you need to look into this list of best professional dog clippers I’ve compiled for you.

These best dog hair clippers have a few things (other than top-notch high quality and an expensive price tag) in common, such as a long running time, cool, quiet motor, a high-speed, sharp blade, and an ease of use that is convenient for pet owners who are just starting out grooming their dogs at home using professional dog clippers.

Dog grooming at home using your own dog hair clippers is easy and convenient, especially if you have all the right tools on top of these professional dog clippers. Home grooming saves pet parents money and you can bond with your pet a lot more during the process. Dogs who don’t like the groomers (i.e. Walter) may do so because of the unfamiliarity. But our dogs love us more than they love themselves, so if we’re the ones clipping their hair and taking care of them, they’re probably going to react relatively better.

You know, as the saying goes, a good handyman is nothing without his tools, and professional dog clippers are no exception. Naturally, these come at a much higher price and not everybody can afford dog hair clippers with such a price tag. In that case, you can always try clippers in the medium range which can also serve you long and well. But if you have shoddy hair clippers for dogs — such as ones that get too hot fast, are too loud and scary, or are simply dull — that can not only lead to an equally shoddy job- it can also cause injuries if your dog gets clipper burn, runs away mid-clip, or the clipper isn’t precise enough.

Eliminate those risks by choosing high quality best professional dog clippers that will do the job right. Below, you’ll find my recommendations based on my own experiences and other customers’ reviews. I’ve also done a lot of research and will try to give you a quick rundown and overview of each dog hair clipper product.

Top 5 Best Professional Dog Clippers for Grooming in 2016

1Oster Volt Lithium Ion Pet Clipper Kit

Overview: These lightweight professional dog clippers have a lithium ion battery that will keep them running for a long enough time to get your clipping done. It’s cordless, and it comes with a charging stand. The blade used is a #10 (though the blades are removable and interchangeable with other Andis and Osters blades), and there is an oil and brush included for oiling the clippers.

COST: Check $ Price on Amazon

Why it’s at #1? Customers and other dog parents who purchased Oster Volt Lithium Ion Pet Clipper Kit have found that despite of the fact that this professional dog clippers kit comes with oil and a brush, they actually don’t have to do a lot of maintenance on the clippers themselves because they’re pretty high quality. The recharging cycles are quick and consistent, making for continued use that won’t cause the dog hair clipper to overheat and burn you or your dog. Professional groomers who have used these at their business 40 hours a week have also noted the resiliency of the clipper and its lack of overheating. Each charge lasts around two to three hours, more than enough time to groom your dog (or two, or three). Because the blades don’t get as hot, you won’t have to worry about taking a cool-down break when you don’t need to charge it.

Pet owners who have used these dog hair clippers have remarked on how convenient the cordlessness is. Not having to bother with an electrical cord getting in the way is a big relief to most dog owners tired of maneuvering the cord around their pets’ legs. This also makes it easier to hold and use and the Clearcoat protectant won’t let the clipper become smudged or fall out of your hands by mistake—a really good feature- no one wants to drop these and have to buy another, though if you do, there’s a one-year warranty.

Customers with bigger dogs also weighed in. Big dogs have more fur and surface area to cover than small dogs, so even if their coats aren’t as high maintenance as the smaller, poofier dogs, they’re still big determinants of whether or not the blade is going to hold up. The owners of larger dogs said that these pet hair clippers are a blessing—they run for a long time and don’t overheat, meaning that even though they have to cut through large swaths of dog hair, they’re very durable. This adds up, considering that the clippers’ speed is a fast 2,400 strokes per minute. One owner with a female Giant Schnauzer (average height: 25.5”, average weight, 75 pounds) said that “There is no doubt that this could handle the heavy [clipping] job of a horse as well.” This blade is definitely a solid investment into your future dog grooming needs.

What others are saying? [more reviews on Amazon]

Most Helpful review (read the full review):I’m a professional groomer, who has used andis clippers for years. I’ve always steered away from oster clippers, but these I love so much I have 2! They are not light, but they are well balanced, which saves my hands, and wrists. I’ve been using them 5 to 6 days a week since October 2010. The battery still holds a charge well, and they power through a thick coat just as well as any corded clippers I’ve ever had. They are…

2Andis Pet Super AGR+

Overview: This is the clipper that I used on my dog, Walter, and can tell you from personal experience that it is fantastic. It’s definitely a little pricey, which is its biggest con, but if you’re switching to home grooming, this is a long-term investment that pays off big-time (plus, if you add it up, the money you spend on these professional dog clippers is easily outmatched by how much going to a professional groomer’s adds up to over time).

It has a 3,800 strokes per minute blade speed and a 4×4 drive that gives it more rotation capabilities. It’s designed for very heavy usage (all day) and the battery lasts one hour before needing to be recharged on the charging station, as this is also cordless. It is compatible and interchangeable with UltraEdge and CeramicEdge blades, but the one it comes with is a CeramicEdge #10. Warranties for all of these best professional dog clippers from Andis are one year (magically, we didn’t have to take advantage of the warranty).

Why it’s at #2? After trying Andis Pet Super AGR+,I found the blade of these second best professional dog clippers to be unusually nice and quiet. It only took us 20 minutes to groom Walter once we got good at it, so the one-hour battery life was fine. It didn’t get too hot to hold and didn’t scare Walter, who was already on edge after seeing someone wielding clippers. Because these dog hair clippers are designed not to overheat, they don’t need a fan or vents to cool them off—that’s why these clippers are able to be so quiet and seem “peaceful” to canines.

Other customers agreed with my satisfaction. There is only one speed, which would seem like a drawback but is actually a plus, because the switch can’t be accidentally hit to switch the speed (something that happens surprisingly often with handheld dog hair clippers—not good if you have them near your pet’s face). All the blades are detachable, which is convenient for pet owners. Professional dog groomers—including one who has been in the business for more than forty years—all remarked on this clipper’s durability. Just like with the Oster clippers, it’s nice not to have to bother with cords getting tangled around everything. However, Andis also makes available an AGR+ battery pack and a cord adapter, if you want, for whatever reason, to make it corded.

One customer described it enthusiastically, calling the AGR+ “the Mac-Daddy of all animal clippers” and said that he was considering using it on one of his horses. This enthusiasm is understandable, especially for pet owners like myself who needed something durable enough to last a while, but fast enough in terms of strokes per minute to get your pet clipped. These second best professional dog clippers will definitely do that for you.

Most Helpful review (read the full review):This may be the Mac-Daddy of all animal clippers. It arrived fully charged! POWER: The specs show that the speed is slightly slower on battery than via power cord, but on battery it keeps up with all the other new models fine. BATTERY LIFE: I didn’t buy the power cord. I did an entire Chow and a really thick Lab before I thought it may be slowing down. Maybe I was just nervous, maybe it would have kept going? I put it on the charger at night & the next…

3Wahl 9791 KM10 Professional BRUSHLESS Motor 2 Speed Corded Clipper Kit

Overview: This clipper, made by the Wahl Professional Animal Company, has an extended motor life of 10,000 hours (approximately). It’s German-engineered, so if the rumors are true, you know it’s good. They emphasize “brushless” because it means that the motor has an extended life, requiring less maintenance than you would normally give it.

Video: Top 5 Best Dog Grooming Scissors 2016

Wahl dog hair clippers cut through mats and even can do full-body shaves on your dog (but you should go to a groomer for that). These professional dog clippers are versatile enough to get into delicate areas while also powerful enough to get through tough-to-clip sections of your pet’s hair.

Video: Top 5 Best Pet Grooming Clippers Wahl Professional Animal Deluxe U- Review

Why it’s at #3? After trying out Wahl 9791 KM10 Professional Clipper Kit, it appears that customers are thrilled with their purchases and have given these professional hair clippers glowing reviews. They find that the blade doesn’t get overheated easily, and the grooming experience is simpler because they don’t have to struggle with mats.

When it comes to oiling the blade, one customer had a suggestion that she (and people who tried her advice) found successful: use coconut oil to oil the blade. It’s cheaper, good for your pet’s coat, nontoxic, and does a better job than most of the “special” oils that dog hair clipper brands sell you. I’ve tried coconut oil once and found it to work well oiling the blades of my own dog clippers. Coconut oil is a magical substance in general, and blade oiling is just another one of its many uses.

Back to the professional dog clippers. Because you don’t have to replace the brushes on this motor, it’s quieter and more resilient than motors with brushes. One customer found that she didn’t have to stop every few minutes and switch out the blades to cool the professional dog clippers down. This was a relief, considering that before, she said, her brush-motor clippers would get so hot that she couldn’t even hold them. Though this might seem abundantly clear, no pain should be “mandatorily” involved in the pet grooming process, neither on our side nor on the dog’s side. These Wahl dog hair clippers eliminate the need to constantly stop for fear of burning our hands off.

Some dog parents remarked on its ability to snip right through, even through sections of hair. Though you should always brush your dog before grooming, there are always spots (mats) that make that impossible. The brush on Wahl clippers for dogs zips through and removes them without pausing or getting stuck. Others expressed reassurance that although these third best professional dog clippers are expensive, it’s a fantastic investment for those looking to make home dog grooming the norm for their pet. It’s also lightweight, making it easy to hold and maneuver until you’re done grooming. No wrist fatigue necessary!

Most Helpful review (read the full review): I’ve used Wahl and Andis and other clippers, but those are the two best brands in my experience. I mainly clip dogs, and my 70 dollar Andis clippers do a fine job, although like most they run hot within 5-10 minutes, and depending on your dog this can be an issue if you’re doing a major cut, though keeping the blades oiled as you go makes it less of a problem. NOTE: Please, for your animals’ sake, ALWAYS oil your blades every…

4Wahl Bravura Professional Cord/Cordless Pet Clipper Kit

Overview: These fourth best professional dog clippers are so sturdy they can be used on a horse, apparently. The clipper does 5,000 strokes per minute and is delicate enough to work on the face, feet, and any other areas that need extra attention. It’s quiet and durable. The kit itself contains six attachment combs, oil, a brush, a charging stand, and a few other essentials.

Why it’s at #4? The Wahl Bravura Professional Clipper Kit have received great response from pet owners.Customers looking for the delicacy to do facial work on their canine have found these professional dog clippers to be well up to the task of doing so. One customer described it as “the best choice out there for anyone who has to shave skittish animals on a regular basis… I have had about a dozen clippers in 30 years and this is the best.”

It’s cordless, making it convenient and easy to handle, and it also is quiet. That, according to majority of dog hair clipper reviews, is one of the most attractive elements about this product: the silence. There also isn’t a lot of vibration, so you won’t feel your joints shaking as you try to groom your dog (easy for anyone who already has shaky hands or is prone to dropping things). Dog hair clippers are sturdy and well made—they’re from Hungary, but the blades are manufactured in the USA—and won’t get overheated.

Dog hair clippers that are roaring loudly, vibrating uncontrollably like a broken radiator, and make your hand feel like it’s dipping in a pool of hot lava when you hold them were the only clippers available to pet owners for a while. But, as modern technology has improved, so has clipping and tools such as these. These clippers are usable on the face because of their quietness and lack of vibration—not surprisingly, dogs don’t want a screeching, shaking thing in their face.

Video: 5 Best Pet Grooming Clippers Wahl Home Pet Pet-Pro Grooming Kit Review

Pet parents also had a lot to say about how long-lasting these best professional dog clippers were. The battery is extremely durable and doesn’t die easily. Also, even though the blade is delicate, customers with pets that are larger (e.g. horses) or have tough fur (one lady’s extremely fluffy cat) have said that the blade powers straight through without stopping. These electric clippers are extremely versatile, not just for what kind of pets it can clip, but for the jobs it can do.

One customer offered a word of advice for using these professional dog clippers: make sure to oil the notch on the cutter of the Wahl’s blades. Otherwise, it can drag or pull. As was aforementioned, several customers have tried coconut oil and have found it to be a successful, nontoxic way of oiling places on the clippers that you need oiled. The Wahl dog clippers’ blade, if you follow the directions and keep it in good shape (as with all equipment) will last a long time without dragging or tugging. It’s an all-purpose best dog clippers for owners who want to make their home pet grooming all-purpose as well.

Most Helpful review (read the full review):Applying grease or lube in the notch on the cutter of Wahl’s 5 ‘n 1 blades is very important. Besides oiling the blades regularly you’ll want to apply some grease (not oil) to that plastic notch on the back of the blade. The little driving bar on the motor inside the head rotates inside that notch, moving the blade back and forth, creating friction. If you don’t keep it lubed it can bind, causing the blade…

5Andis AGC Super 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper

Best Professional Dog Clippers - AndisOverview: These quite fifth best dog clippers are good for heavy-duty jobs that require a lot of time and effort. They come with an UltraEdge blade, but are also compatible with UltraEdge and CeramicEdge blades. The blade drive is a 4×4, meaning basically that you get more rotation with it and it can do a more versatile and flexible job on your dog’s contours.

Why it’s at #5? Another Andis product on the list, but it seems that the Andis AGC Super 2-Speed Professional Clipper are just as popular.Dog owners who own these best professional dog clippers remarked on their versatility/flexibility, saying that it not only worked on the ears and feet areas that required precision, but it also did a bang-up job on the tail area as well. One customer with a long-haired German Shepherd (tons of hair, supposedly) remarked that even though she—the customer—didn’t have much training in grooming her dog and clipping pet hair, and had never done it before, the dog clippers were so easy to use that she picked up on it right away. She used a #7 blade for her dog’s fur and was amazed at how quickly and thoroughly these went through it. Another customer with a Portuguese Water Dog was impressed at how it cut through the matted fur with no problem.

Unlike other best professional dog clippers listed above, these professional dog clippers can get a little bit warm, but they cool right down, especially if you use the Andis Cooling Spray. These dog hair clippers are quiet enough that you can clip around the facial area without any “trauma,” as one customer put it. The blades are easy to change and won’t give you any trouble if you want to switch one out for the other. A piece of advice a customer gave was to use the skip tooth blade for thicker coats. If it’s a touch up or a full trim you’re looking for, these professional dog clippers will do a quick and easy job of it. They’re powerful for any coat type, with customers who parent dogs of all breeds and hair types commenting on the ease of use and durability.

Some other pet parents also weighed in on the customer service side of Andis, remarking that Customer Service was readily available and pleasant to help them, which is always a plus when buying higher quality, more expensive items like these.

Most Helpful review (read the full review):I went to grooming school well over 10yrs ago and started with a nice pair of Oster clippers. I had difficulty getting through thick coated dogs and switched to the Andis A2 model. The difference was night and day! I still have that original pair of Andis clippers for home use and use the newer model at a local shelter. Some tips- Blades will get hotter on the 2nd/faster setting (they are rubbing back and forth…

How to choose the right best professional dog clippers for your Fido

Last but not least, it’s important to discuss how you actually want to select your one item from this list of best professional dog clippers. The list above provides you with options on what to pick from—but how do you know which dog grooming product to pick?

Top 5 Best Professional Dog Clippers

First, assess your dog’s coat type. Is it wiry? Thick? If it’s a type that’s traditionally a little more difficult to clip, you’ll probably want a best professional dog clippers that have a high strokes per minute count, such as the second best dog hair clippers from the list above (though the others are fast enough as well). This way dog clippers will have maximum speed and power needed to motor through your pet’s unruly coat. Choose a product that has steel or ceramic blades, as those are likely to be the strongest and easiest to clean. You don’t want blades that dull easily and end up dragging through your pet’s fur. A quick, clean cut is precipitated by a sharp blade only.

Pay attention to dog hair clippers’ blade. You need to make sure that the best dog clippers you’ve chosen have interchangeable blades and they aren’t solidly set on one type of clipper blade. Different areas on different dogs can require multiple blades and switching, so the blade you buy needs to have that flexibility and interchangeability. Otherwise, it’ll be a big hassle. The best professional dog clippers we showed you are interchangeable with other Andis and Oster blades like the UltraEdge and CeramicEdge. Also, purchase professional dog clippers that won’t overheat while using them, as this runs the risk of harming both your dog’s skin and yours.

Always keep your dog in mind. Pick a dog grooming product that is silent, or at least quiet enough not to scare your canine. Dogs, despite how loud they themselves can be, are actually sensitive to loud noises and have the tendency to bolt when they come in contact with one. A dog that runs around and squirms while you’re waving a buzzing, extremely sharp blade around, is dangerous. That can cause injury to both of you if you’re not careful. By purchasing a blade that isn’t loud, you won’t risk startling your dog. Also, you won’t have to make the switch to silent, handheld professional dog clippers, which take longer (though work perfectly well also).

Don’t trust only one source of information. Finally, make sure to do your own research when looking for an expensive item such as best professional dog clippers. I believe this article you’ve just read is a good starting point, but remember that we haven’t tested all of these professional dog clippers above, thus you’ll need other sources before making a final decision. Please do check Amazon reviews of each product, visit other websites to read what people have been saying about either one of these professional dog clippers and the reviews they have left, both positive and negative. By choosing a high quality best dog hair clippers with a sharp blade, cool, quiet motor, and flexibility, you’ll have your dog looking as good as (if not better!) than he or she would if they went to a professional dog groomer. With the right tools, you can become professional level. Just make sure to spend your money on the right item that will serve you long and well.

We want to make sure that our readers are aware that we are NOT sponsored by any of the manufacturers and dog companies mentioned in this article. Please note that we do our best to provide accurate information, but we highly encourage dog owners to always double-check other sources for additional tips on best professional dog clippers so that you can make a more accurate decision of what’s best for you, and your canine.

The above overview of best dog hair clippers should give pet owners a good idea of best rated dog supplies, but please also make sure that you read the more about top pet clippers for dogs reviews from multiple customers before you purchase any dog products. Sometimes, those reviews from pet parents can provide more information than any dog supplies website ever could. Finally, I hope this list was helpful, and if you tried any of these dog products, please let us know of your experience in the comments below.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts