5 Best silent dog clippers for noise-free grooming of dogs

Depending on how you approach it, grooming your dog can be a very enjoyable and worthwhile task. However, if your dog is scared of the noise traditional dog hair clippers make, you’ll need to find the best silent dog clippers or at least manual dog clipper to be able to groom your Fido in peace and without stressing him even more than you already have.

Grooming is usually a great way for you two to spend some time together which fosters the bond that you have with your canine companion. It also saves you money, as taking your dog to a professional groomer can run you quite a bit of cash after a while.

Best Silent Dog Clippers for Noise-free Grooming of DogsSelecting a pair of silent dog clippers or manual dog hair clippers is a wise choice for several reasons I’ll outline below. Mostly, it’s about keeping your dogs calm during grooming.

Removing that noise with the use of silent dog clipper can ease the job for you and make the time of grooming much more pleasant for your pet.

Below, we’ve picked five best silent clippers for dogs, and you can compare them here:

Video: Top 5 Best Dog Grooming Clippers 2016

Silent Dog Hair ClipperPriceQualityRating
Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Grooming Kit$$$A+4.3/5
Tiny Trim Ball-Tipped Small Pet Grooming Scissor$B4.8/5
Oster 2-Speed Outlaw Dog Animal Clipper$$$$A-4.0/5
ZMG Cordless Electric Hair Clippers Low Noise$$B-4.7/5
Glendan CP-8000 Ultra Quiet Eco Friendly Clippers$$C+4.3/5

* Click on the dog hair clipper for more information and prices. Alternatively, scroll down below for more details.

If you’re having trouble keeping your dog calm, I recommend you watch our video on how to make your dog enjoy grooming during the whole process.

As you may have guessed, some pets get scared of the whirring noise that traditional clippers make, and a dog moving around while you have a sharp object in your hand in close proximity to their body is not safe. You may be able to save your pet a lot of stress by simply switching to a silent pair of pet clippers for dogs.

Selecting a pair of dog clippers isn’t just as easy as silent versus loud, either. You need to consider your dog’s size, their coat length, and the condition of their skin. For more information on selecting the right type of hair clippers for your dog, read our column Pet Hair Clippers for Dogs: Quick Buying Guide.

Once you’ve selected the right dog clippers for your pet’s grooming needs, you can decide whether or not silent clippers would be a good choice for your Fido. We’ll discuss what silent dog clippers are and the top rated silent clippers that are available on the market.

What Are the Best Silent Dog Clippers or Manual Clippers for Noise-free Grooming of Dogs?

What Are the Best Silent Dog Clippers or Manual Clippers for Noise-free Grooming of Dogs

I suppose first thing is first. If you’re not familiar with silent dog clippers, or any type of manual dog clippers, then you need to at least be aware of what they are and what the difference is between them and regular clippers.

Silent dog clippers are a dog grooming tool that doesn’t have the loud whirring or growling noise that other dog hair clippers make. These clippers are often manual and occasionally electric, and the electric brands are all nearly silent. However, no electric dog hair clippers will be 100% silent, and only manual dog clippers can do that.

The “manual clippers for dogs”, such as those in the picture to the left, are simply scissors and an attachment comb. This type of silent dog clipper is good for pets that need their hair cut, yet are very skittish about the noisiness of typical electric groomers (Chihuahuas would be an example of one of the touchier breeds of dog). But if you’re looking just for scissors to groom your dog, take a look at this list of best dog grooming scissor sets.

Best Silent Dog Clippers for Grooming Your Fido
Using Scaredy Cut Clipper (see below)

Though these types of dog clippers might seem like they require more work than the electric ones, that’s not always the case. The time spent chasing your spooked pet around far exceeds the time spent quickly snipping through his coat and grooming him manually.

There are other types of silent dog clippers that run on batteries, but they are not 100% silent. Your dog will still be able to hear the noise, but they are much less intimidating than normal clippers that buzz, whir, and make a lot of racket.

If your pet is not extremely skittish, but simply uncomfortable around the noise of traditional clippers these types of silent clippers may work for you.

The key to deciding how to groom your pet depends on the type of fur he has. Short haired dogs don’t need as much regular grooming as pets with long, straight, continuously growing hair do.

How to groom dogs in silence with low noise clipperHowever, it’s a general rule of thumb that you shouldn’t do anything drastic (like completely shave your dog) without seeking the help of a professional groomer. You wouldn’t want to cause an injury or make a mistake that could lead to damage.

Below I’ve listed, in no particular order, several brands of dog clippers that have been best-rated by consumers. Consumer reviews tend to be more honest than simply the descriptions of the product as written by the advertiser. Consumers have no advertising cash-in waiting for them and no incentive, therefore, to lie.

Reading through this list will give you a good idea about the best silent dog clippers to purchase for your pet. The advantages and disadvantages are listed so that you can easily discern which one will suit your pet’s particular needs. The silent clippers listed are both manual (scissors and comb attachments) and electric.

Best Silent Dog Clippers

TOP 5: Best Silent Dog Clipper

1Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Clipper

Scaredy Cut Silent Pet ClipperThe first, and one of the most popular silent dog clippers, is the Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Clipper. With a demonstration video available on the Scaredy Cut website, these dog clippers are easy to maneuver and use, though you may need a little practice first if you’re more used to the electric grooming ones.

The Scaredy Cut clippers contain a pair of sharp scissors and a set of comb attachments. There are seven of these attachments (#1, #1-1/2, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6), each a different length so as to allow clipping from half an inch to an inch. You simply clip the attachment onto the scissors and snip off the hair that needs to be trimmed, creating a straight, even cut.

The combs aren’t sharp, so even if your pet decides to suddenly bolt off while you’re in the middle of cutting his hair, it won’t scrape him. The combs aren’t the only attachment that is specialized—the scissors themselves are adjustable and have two different blades, one serrated and one smooth.

Gel finger inserts are included so that your fingers aren’t uncomfortable while you’re grooming your pet. The tension system inside the scissors is also adjustable by tweaking the screw in the center of the tool.

What do dog owners say?

Best Silent Dog Clippers for Grooming Your FidoScaredy Cut Silent Pet Clipperare one of the best-rated pieces of grooming equipment because they make absolutely no noise and do not intimidate pets at all.

Also, pet owners who purchased these clippers say that they enjoy being able to groom their dog at home. It’s a good way to bond with your dog as opposed to shuffling him off to the groomer’s for a majority of the day.

These silent pet clippers cut through matted hair well without getting stuck or making an uneven cut. Matted hair can become very unsanitary and dangerous for a dog to have, so possessing tools that prevent that hair from continuing to pose a hazard is imperative. These clippers make it easy for even the least talented of hair cutters to be able to do a neat job.

Consumers did mention that it takes a long time to trim a large breed dog with these clippers and advised to do it in sections so that your arm doesn’t cramp up. Also, if you have large hands, you might want to forego these scissors or find someone with smaller hands to do the clipping, especially if it’s going to be a long grooming job. A few customer ratings did mention that the holes in the scissors were a bit tight on their fingers.

Most helpful review (read the full review on Amazon): “I have two maltese dogs who get groomed every 6 weeks at $100 a trip. When I came across this product on amazon I was a bit skeptical, yet hopeful at the same time. My skepticism was completely unfounded. I’ve…”

2Tiny Trim – Ball-Tipped Small Pet Grooming Scissor

Tiny Trim - Ball-Tipped Small Pet Grooming ScissorThe second best-rated silent dog clipper – Tiny Trim Grooming Scissor – is also non-electronic, and it’s actually also from Scaredy Cut, except it’s cheaper and doesn’t have the attachment. These manual dog hair clippers work well on matted hair especially.

As you can see from the picture below, these clippers are in the same style as the above mentioned Scaredy Cut manual clippers. Instead of being essentially a pair of scissors with a guard, these clippers are designed more like scissors.

These clippers are designed for dogs with thin hair, although they will work for course hair as well it will just be a little more difficult. They are suitable for both long and short haired dogs and are well-built from stainless steel for strength and durability.

What do dog owners say?

Similar to the Scaredy Cut clippers, dog owners who purchased these have mentioned that Double Arrow Pet Grooming Hair Clippers aren’t great for larger dogs either. These clippers are small and can be a little hard to use on a big dog that requires a lot of grooming. This seems to be a common concern with pet owners who use manual clippers.

They are comfortable to hold and are made of easy-to-clean stainless steel. These clippers are best for an owner with a dog that doesn’t require a lot of maintenance other than the occasional matted-hair clip and quick groom. They would certainly not be suitable for someone looking to give their golden retriever a summer cut.

I don’t care for manual clippers. I’d rather have electric.

If neither of these silent manual dog clipper will work nor are you able to tear yourself away from the electronics, there are brands of nearly silent pet clippers that are electric, yet won’t scare your dog.

Most helpful review (read the full review on Amazon): “In order to cut the fur on the sensitive parts (ear, nose, face and paw) of our dog, I have been trying to find one of these ball-tipped scissors for ages. I have recently bought TINY TRIM and was already satisfied…”

3Oster 2-Speed Outlaw Dog Animal Clippers

Oster 2-Speed Outlaw Dog Animal ClippersThe top-rated silent electric dog grooming clippers are the Oster 2-Speed Outlaw Dog Animal Clippers. This type of clipper has a silent motor design and is very lightweight.

Despite its quietness, it is a powerful piece of equipment and comes with ten different comb attachments.

These clippers come in a set with grooming shears, a carrying case, a step by step DVD, a cleaning brush and oil. They offer a professional grade design and a one year manufacturer’s warranty. These Oster clippers are designed to handle everything from heavy duty clipping to quick precision trims.

Oster 2-Speed Outlaw Dog Animal Clippers are made to cut any all types of fur and any length coat. They feature a new lightweight housing design that is cooler running, quieter, and vent free to prevent hair from blowing. They can also be used on humans, cats, and other animals as well.

What do dog owners say?

If your dog is skittish, but not too skittish, he will do well with Oster 2-Speed Outlaw Dog Animal Clippers. However, if your dog is very sensitive to even the slightest whir of a motor, it’s advisable to stick with the aforementioned Scaredy Cut or Double Arrow clippers.

Also, a few consumers mentioned that they noticed that the blades of these clippers get warm after you use them for a long period of time. This is common with dog clippers, and doesn’t necessarily mean you shouldn’t buy them, but it is something you should take notice of.

Most helpful review (read the full review on Amazon): “Extremely fast delivery, Would purchase from seller again. High quality especially for the price! The extras that come with it are fantastic! Make sure you purchase some extra, good quality oil because the tube that comes with it is…”

4ZMG Cordless Pets Electric Clippers Low Noise

ZMG Cordless Pets Electric Clippers Low NoiseZMG Cordless Pets Electric Clippers Low Noise is your next bet if you can’t pick any of the above. Because Oster dog clipper is not the cheapest one on the market, you can consider these as a good alternative.

This is an electric dog hair clipper that produces low noise. It’s not as silent as manual dog clippers, but it’s certainly makes far less noise than regular ones.

On top of that, it’s just a good quality clipper for this price, especially since it comes with a few perks. Some of those includes the fact that it’s cordless, which makes it easy to groom your dog quickly. The batteries serve a decent amount of time, and the silent clipper is easy to recharge.

I haven’t tried this silent dog clipper myself, so I would strongly advise to browse through the other dog hair clipper reviews on its Amazon page and see what dog owners thought of the produce before you make the purchase. Take a look at this one below.

Most helpful review (read the full review on Amazon): “We have four cats and two Golden Retrievers. We always shave two of the cats, a Ragdoll and a Persian. If you google how to shave a cat the first video should be my husbands mad shaving skills. Sometimes we shave…”

5Glendan Ultra Quiet ECO Friendly Clippers

Glendan Ultra Quiet ECO Friendly ClippersAnother great option for pet owners on the budget is Glendan CP-8000 Ultra Quiet dog hair clipper from YaYa. This is a Chinese made cheap clippers for dogs, but they get the job done. They are certainly the most inexpensive dog hair clipper set I could find that was still well-rated and liked by other dog owners. It’s also eco-friendly, which can be an appealing selling point for a lot of us.

These silent dog clippers aren’t as good as the above mentioned ZMG (although the price is very similar) and definitely nowhere close to the quality of well-established brands like Oster or Andis. Nevertheless, if you cannot afford the more expesive ones, and manual dog clipper is not to your taste, this could be a great option.

Glendan is also cordless/rechargeable, which can be a pro or a con depending on how you like to groom your pets. Its handle is very comfortable and has an anti-slip feature which makes the whole grooming process far less stressful for you. But once again, I highly recommend you browse the reviews and see what other dog owners thought of this silent dog clipper before you make your final decision. Here’s one for your to read.

Most helpful review (read the full review on Amazon): “I am so glad I purchased the YaYa CP-8000 pet clippers. I no longer have to go to the Vet to have hair knots trimmed out of my cats fur. These clippers are safe. My cat allowed me to remove all her hair knots. It is quiet and…”

Best Silent Dog Clippers for Noise-free Grooming of Dogs

Have you tried any type of silent dog clippers?

If your dog is afraid of the noise of traditional clippers choosing a silent pair is a great way to help alleviate some of the stress. Whichever pair you choose, be sure to take a proactive stance on your pet’s grooming. Check daily for any skin problems or matted hair. Alternatives for that could be a good quality grooming mitts or hair conditioner.

Video: Save Money, Dog Clippers Comparison - Oster and Andis ProClip

If you own or have used a pair of silent clippers that you really enjoyed, please share your story in the comments below.And, if you’ve used a pair you didn’t care for, we’d love to hear why. We’re trying to provide more information for other dog owners on what to pick.

For more information on dog grooming supplies and how to choose them, take a look at Top Dog Tips’ dog grooming supplies buyers guide – you’ll learn everything you need about what type of products you should own for your dog’s daily grooming needs.

READ NEXT: Fluff Your Pup – Vital Pet Grooming Tools for the Job

Reviews & Comments

Related posts