Dog urine cleaning 101

Video: Nature's Miracle Pet Stain & Odor Removal - PetSmart

If you have a puppy, a certain amount of potty clean-up is pretty much a fact of life!

Even if you follow all thehousebreakingrules, AND use acrate, there`s still bound to be a couple of `accidents` at some point.

So, how do you deal with the little puddles of dog urine that will inevitably end up on your carpet/floor/rug/bed etc?

Luckily this very common, but nonetheless frustrating, dilemma can be taken care of quickly and effectively when you know how.

Here are 6 Easy Steps that will get your floor/carpet clean and remove all traces of the odors that draw your pup back to areas he`s soiled previously....

Six Step Dog Urine Clean-Up Guide

Before we get into the actual cleaning part, there`s a couple of things I`d like to mention!

Firstly, if you actually catch little Fido in the act of piddling on your Persian rug, startle him with a loud "NO" and scoop him up immediately.

Take him straight outside to his potty spot and let him `finishup his business` there. Then put him in his crate/puppy play-pen/confinehim to `his room` or generally put him somewhere where he can`t getinto any more trouble while you clean up the mess.

If you`re too late, and the `accident` happened several hours,minutes, or even seconds ago (puppies have very short attention spans!)don`t waste your time scolding the little rugrat. He`ll have absolutelyno idea what he did wrong.

Instead confine him somewhere safe and get towork on making his mess disappear!

Step One

Start by picking up any solid waste if your pup has done a #2!

Video: Cleaning Kitchens : How to Clean Dog Urine

This is pretty straightforward if his poop is firm, but if he has loose stools it can be a bit tricky. For sloppy poop, a D-I-Y option to reduce the mess, try sprinkling cat litter or sawdust on it first.

Or you can use the specially-designed products such as the handy Nature`s Miracle Pet Mess Easy Clean-Up or the innovative Poop Freeze

Step Two

Blot up the urine as quickly as you can. It`s important to soak up as much of your pup`s pee-pee as you can from thecarpet. Do this by covering the area with a thick layer of white papertowels and standing or stamping heavily on them for several minutes.

If you have a medium to large breed puppy you may need anadditional layer of newpaper on top (the ink in it will stain yourcarpet if you put it underneath) the paper towels. Repeat with freshtowels and paper until all liquid has been absorbed.

* Tip: Clean, unused baby diapers work well for this task. Use one first to soak up the majority of the urine, then go over the area again with clean, white paper towels to make sure you get it all.

Step Three

Sponge the soiled area with water.

Don`t use hot water, that will only set the stain into the carpet. Use cool, clean tap water. Or you can use club soda instead if the area is very stained.

*Tip: I often dissolve a little Oxyclene powder in the cold water and use that. It really helps to lift any stain right out. BUT, it can fade or discolor a colored carpet, so if you want to use this, patch-test a small area first. I have very pale cream carpets (what on earth was I thinking!) so it works fine for me.

Step Four

Blot carpet again.

You`ll have to go over the whole area several times to make sure all the water is soaked up. Use a clean, white towel or white paper towels.

At this point, depending on how bad the soiling was, you may want to repeat Steps 3 & 4 again, until you`re sure that you`ve got every single bit of stain/odor out that you can.

Step Five

Use an enzymatic cleaner/odor neutralizer on entire treated area.

Using this type of product (my personal favorite and the one I have on hand at all times is Natures Miracle Advanced Stain and Odor Remover, Trigger Sprayer ) is the absolute best way to make sure all traces of odor are totally eliminated. Regular carpet or household cleaners won`t do the job.

It`s also perfect for cleaning crates, tile floors etc.

Apply it generously, letting it soak right down into the carpet. Leave for approx. 10 - 20 minutes and then blot up any excess the same way as before.

Step Six

Allow the area to dry completely, and keep little Fidowell away from it for at least 24 hours.

Video: How to Remove Pet Urine from Concrete

Although the stain will begone and you won`t be able to smell the dog urine, it will be detectableto a sensitive canine nose until the carpet is totally dry.

And There`s More........

If the `puddle` is no longer a puddle (because you only just noticedit and it`s almost, or even completely, dry) then you need to start thecleaning process at the water and sponge stage.

You`ll probably need to repeat the sponging more than once to remove the stain in this case.

Did you know that you can use a `black-light` to detect hidden"oops" spots that you didn`t notice when they happened? It can be quiterevealing :)

For older, set-in stains, you may also need to apply, blot anddry the cleaner/odor neutralizer more than once (but make sure to letthe are dry thoroughly between applications).

If you have a pad under your carpet, the dog urine will mostlikely have seeped down into that too. So, if you can, pull up the carpetand repeat the whole process on that also.

If it`s not possible to pull up the pad, apply enough product to soakthe pad as well as the carpet, and be extra vigilant about absorbingALL the liquids.

Need to know how to clean dog urine on bedding, cushions or clothing? Well, that`s pretty straightforward...

you can remove the smell of dog urine by washing the items inyour washing machine (using cold water) and adding some of the samecleaner/odor neutralizer to the wash cycle. Follow the manufacturer`s instructions as to the correct amount to use.

It`s possible you`ll need to run them through the wash cycle morethan once though, especially if the `accident` happened a while ago.

There are lots of great products for cleaning up dog urine stains and eliminating odors.

Some are perfect for carpets, others are designed for hard floors and there are formulas for upholstery and even yard surfaces such as concrete.

Check out my Dog Urine Cleaning Products page to see some of the best choices

Related Pages.........

Reviews & Comments

Related posts