Review: the clawguard door protector

Many dogs will scratch on the door in order to get their owner’s attention when they need to be let outside. I have two dogs that do this, and although it’s nice that they notify me before having an accident on the floor, it also does some damage to our door and the trim around it. That’s why The Clawguard door protector was invented.

Video: The Clawguard Door Protector Review

Whether you own or rent your home, you don’t want any damage done to it. A scratching dog will easily chip paint, ruin wooden trim and put holes in sheet rocked walls. The damage is unsightly, but what is the point of fixing it immediately if your dog is just going to scratch it up again?

If you live in a rental property, you’ll lose your security deposit if you leave the property with damage. If you own your home, you’re going to have to pay to have the damage to your door and door frame repaired eventually. Wouldn’t it be much nicer if you didn’t have to worry about the damage at all?

The Clawguard Door Protector Review

The Clawguard is a simple sheet of malleable plastic with a hole near the top. There are narrow ridges on one side and the other is smooth. All you need to do is slide The Clawguard over your door handle and allow it to hang there.

The Clawguard Review

The plastic device protects your door and door frame from the damaging claws of your canine companion. You are supposed to place the device on the door with the narrow ridges facing out. This way it will make a louder noise when your pet drags his paws down it.

Video: Game Of Thrones Season 6 Episode 5 "The Door" In-Depth Review

As you’ll see in my video review, the noise that this product makes will certainly get your attention. That’s great – unless you have a timid dog. Our boxer is a rescue dog and she is very timid. She’s especially scared of new or loud noises. As you can imagine, she did not like The Clawguard.

We turned the product around so that the smooth side was on the outside. We can still hear when your dog’s scratch on the door, but it’s not nearly as loud. The noise was also a bit annoying, as we have two dogs that always seem to be on the wrong side of the door. We were constantly listening to that sound.

We prefer having the smooth side out for our dogs to scratch on, but that is just a matter of preference. The side with the ridges is certainly more audible.

The Clawguard Door Protector Review

You can use The Clawguard inside or outdoors. We tried it on the outside of our door as well, but decided to keep it on the inside. When you use it on the outside of the door you need to move it out of the way when you open and shut the door. Not a big deal, considering the destruction that it prevents, but worth mentioning.

I love that this product is completely customizable. I show you just how easy it is to cut through the plastic with an average pair of household scissors in my video review. It takes approximately the same effort that it would take to cut through cardboard.

As you can see, there is a half wall directly to the left of our front door. I needed to cut about 4 inches off the width of our Clawguard and about an inch off the bottom. I was able to customize it within about 5 minutes – that includes measuring and drawing a line with a level.

One of the major differences between The Clawguard and other similar products is the fact that it takes absolutely no hardware to secure this device to your door. Other door guards may require permanent hardware that can do just as much damage to your door or trim as your dog’s nails. Others have temporary hardware, like ties or clips, that just make them a bit more inconvenient than The Clawguard.

I love products that are user friendly and effective. The Clawguard takes about 1 second to secure onto your door and completely eliminates your dog’s ability to damage your home. It’s also clear, so it will match every home decor. If that isn’t enough, it’s made from 100% Recyclable polymer plastic and made in the United Sates.

You can purchase The Clawguard through the company’s website for about $20.

Summary of The Clawguard Door Protector Review

PROS: This is the easiest door guard that I’ve ever used. There is no hardware involved in attaching this device to your door, and it is extremely effective. The Clawguard is clear, so it will match any home’s decor. It can be used on the inside or outside of your door as well.

Video: The Protector Review

CONS: The side with ridges makes a louder noise to notify you that your dog needs to be let outside. It’s nice because you can hear it from anywhere in your home, but it scared our timid dog. There is a smooth side that can also be used if this is the case with your dog. Also, if you use it on the outside of your door you’ll need to slide it out of the way each time you open or close the door. It’s a bit inconvenient, but definitely not a deal breaker.

Now it’s your turn

Reviews & Comments

Related posts