The 5 best hair clippers for grooming your dog

dog_clippers_385x261
Click Here to see Amazons favorite Dog Hair Clippers.

The type of dog clippers that you go with is going to depend largely on what type of grooming you plan to do.  Do you plan to just touch up your dog once a month?  You can probably save a lot of money by choosing a less serious clipper (like our #5 pick).

However, a top-notch professional-grade clipper is going to cost a lot of money.  If you are looking for a professional dog grooming kit you can expect to spend just over $100.

Granted, these clippers will probably out live your pet — and possibly you.  They provide a professional cut, are quiet and will work well on both long-haired and short-haired dogs.

Plus, if you pay $30 a grooming like I do, it only takes a few groomings for you to make your money back.

I think the best part about grooming your dog is the quality time you get to spend with your pet.  A lot of dogs get quite fearful at the groomers, and by you doing it yourself, you can remove that fear factor. Plus, your dog will love all of the attention you are pouring out and it really strengthens the bond between you .

Cordless Vs Corded

A lot of people are torn which way to go.  Cordless gives you a lot more freedom of movement — but they are apt to not be as strong at the end of the cut as they are at the start.  This can be really frustrating.

So if you are doing a full groom job on your pet — and not just occasional touch ups — I would recommend going with a corded hair clipper.

What is The Best Brand Of Dog Clipper?

Oster, Wahl and Andis.  These are the three brands that you are going to see mentioned the most.

Video: Wahl Professional Dog Grooming 5 in 1 Clipper

All of them are top-notch, and all of them offer models that are used by professional groomers.

And, when the reviews come in, they are all jostling for top position.  I rank some of these groomers below.  Notice that all of them can be used for some pretty serious grooming.

Can I Shave My Dog With Regular Human Hair Clippers?

Not really.  Dog clippers have more teeth per blade to keep the motor from having to work harder in the dog’s thicker coat.  In addition, the motors in the dog trimmers are stronger to handle the heavier cutting load.  They also have to have the requisite cooling to keep these stronger motors from overheating.

Your human clippers could probably make it through a couple of cuts before the blades dulled.  Even if you constantly use sharp blades, you run the risk of burning out the motor in a hair clipper designed for humans.

Even worse, you could burn your dog as the motor in the human clippers is overworked. And, unlike a human, your dog will have a difficult time saying “hey, these clippers are getting overly warm, don’t you think?”

Dog Trimmer #5 – Pro Pet Clipper Kit in Storage Case

andis Pro Pet Clipper Kit in Storage Case review top pick for home useWe’re going to finish out this list with what I consider to be the top pick for the home groomer. As you will see in my reviews, the Andis is one of my favorite brands.  They simply know what it is that dog’s want, and then they deliver.

Quite. Quick. Durable. These attributes are true of all of the Andis clippers.

What I love about this kit is that you get a top-notch groomer that is going to be able to easily handle several groomings a month.  Plus, it comes with all of the guards and blades you will likely need to keep you from having to spend a huge amount to just get setup.

Plus, the quiet motor and variable speed motor gives you and your pet the confidence you need to do the grooming on your own.

It’s an incredible machine.

Click Here To See The Andis Pro Pet Clipper Kit (W/ Hard-shell case)

Dog Trimmer #4 – The Andis ACG Clipper

andis agc dog clipper reviewIf you are looking for a trimmer for a small dog, I would not look any further.  The Andis ACG is perfect for small dogs and compares favorable with clippers 3 times its price.

The dual speed control makes it easy for you to work at the speed you are most comfortable with.  It also has a locking function so that you don’t accidentally turn it off while you are cutting.

Compared to the Andis that takes the #1 spot, this one only works at 3,400 RPMs, which, frankly is more than enough for most small dogs.   It also comes with a #10 blade, but if you are doing a lot of trimming, I would recommend picking up a ceramic blade since they last longer and stay cool better.

Click To See The Andis ACG Clipper On Amazon

Dog Trimmer #3 – Wahl Professional Kennel Pro

wahl kennel pro dog trimmer reviewThe pricing on this model makes it is a very attractive choice for the at-home groomer.

The thing I really like about the Wahl Kennel Pro is all of the anti-vibration and anti- rotation engineering that they have worked into the device to help prevent hand fatigue.

By the same token, I would be complaining if I had smaller hands because they are a little heavier and bulkier.  My hands are big enough that I find them easy to handle, but I imagine others find the size frustrating.

Despite their name, I would not choose these for professional practice.  Just a little too noisy and cumbersome for all-day use.  But for saving money at home they are an excellent well-built choice.

Click Here To See The Wahl Kennel Pro

Dog Trimmer #2 – Andis Power Groom

andis power groomer reviewClear out a corner of the garage, you are about to go into business for yourself. Thanks to the power of internet shopping you can get the same quality professional hair clipper that all of the pros love.

The Power Groom is best for small and medium sized dogs.

This clipper has just recently been re-introduced to the market with a motor that spins at 4500 revolutions — 15% faster than before.  Even though it is so blazingly fast, care has been made to keep this as one of the quietest clippers on the market.

Just keep in mind that you will need to pick up the blades separately.  Just click the link below to look at the trimmer and price the blades you might need.

Click Here To See The Andis Power Groomer

Dog Trimmer #1 – Andis 27370

andis 2370 dog clipper review top pickThis trimmer takes top spot because it is the most professional.  Small dogs. Big dogs.  It does them all.  Matted, straight. It doesn’t matter, it can handle it.

What really won me over was how quiet these trimmers are.  This is especially nice if ou are trimming sensitive areas that might make the dog jump.  These clippers are so quiet, that they are almost soothing.

The 2-speed motor gives you plenty of control and the anti-slip housing is gives you more confidence as you work.

The only complaint might be that the square design and size of these trimmers make them a little harder for people with small hands to enjoy.  If this is you, go with the power groom.

But for those that want the best, the Andis 27370 is the way to go.

Watch Andis Clippers In Action!

Click Here To See The Best Prices On The Andis 27370

Overview: At Home Video Demonstration To Dog Grooming

Reviews & Comments

Related posts