• Runner-up: best deshedding brush for dogs
  • Video: best dog brush review - pet grooming tool for small dogs - shiba inu
  • Video comparison of several best brushes for dogs
  • Video: demonstrating the furminator dog brush june,2014
  • Best pin & bristle dog brush
  • The best dog slicker brush
  • The best dog brush for mats
  • The bottom line
  • Regular dog grooming and brushing your dog isn’t just good for your pet- it’s good for you too. Using the best dog brush will make your pet’s skin and coat healthier and it will reduce the amount of shed hair that is left around your home. Regular brushing will also foster the bond that you have with your pet, and most pups enjoy the feel of a good brush for dogs.

* Scroll down to watch our detailed and honest VIDEO REVIEW of the best brush for dogs.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsI chose the KONG Zoom Groom as my top pick in this best dog brush review (read my thoughts below).

This brush can be used to groom your dog and also as a shampooing brush in the tub. The rubber material removes loose hair like a magnet and stimulates the capillaries in your pet’s skin. The Kong Zoom Groom also promotes natural oil production to encourage a healthy coat and skin.

Compare TOP 10 Best Brushes for Dogs (reviewed below):

Dog Brush BrandPriceQualityRating
    KONG ZoomGroom$A4.5/5
    FURminator Long Hair deShedding Tool$$$$A+4.6/5
    Safari Pin & Bristle Medium Brush$A4.7/5
    Groomeasy Deshedding Self Cleaning Slicker Brush$$$A-4.4/5
    BarkOutfitters Dematting Tool$A4.6/5
    Conair PRODogs Pet-It Boar Bristle Brush$B-4.2/5
    ShedMonster De-Shedding Tool$$C-3.8/5
    FURminator Dog Dual Brush$C+4.1/5
    Petmate Furbuster 3-in-1$B4.3/5
    Oster Professional Pet Grooming Undercoat Rake$$$A4.7/5

* Please click on the dog brush brand for more product details and prices. Alternatively, scroll down to read reviews of each product.

Top 10 - What Is the Best Dog Brush for GroomingThe trick to finding the best brush for dogs is in understanding what type of coat your pooch has [1]. Your dog’s coat will determine the type of doggy brush you use and the method that you use to brush through his hair or fur.

That’s right – some dogs have hair and some have fur, and you’ll need to decide which your pet has before purchasing the best dog brush. If you don’t know whether your dog has hair or fur, you can tell by its length. Fur grows to a predetermined length, and hair continues to grow, meaning it needs to be cut.

There is a proper way to brush your dog [2] that will make his coat look flawless and remove the most unwanted hair. You need to be sure to brush every part of him from his neck to his tail. Did you know that your dog’s coat is a barometer of his overall health and well-being? His coat and skin are his first defense against the germs and bacteria in the outside world. If his coat is rough and dry and his skin is overly flaky, chances are your pet has an underlying health issue.

Using the best dog brush for your pet to keep his coat clean and smooth will also foster healthy skin, and in turn lead to better overall health. A healthy coat should look shiny and smooth, and healthy skin should be clear and supple. Proper health and nutrition can increase your dog’s skin and coat health from the inside, but regular grooming is the only way to care for them on the outside.

Many upscale pet salons like owners to think that grooming is a luxury for pampered pets, but it’s essential for all dogs.

The KONG Zoom Groom’s rubber bristles massage your dog while you brush, and it’s made in the United States. You can get it in two colors: boysenberry or raspberry. It’s also available in two sizes: small/puppy and regular. The regular size works well for our boxer and our chocolate lab.

There are many different types of brushes for dogs and you may need to use more than one type depending on your pet’s coat.

Slicker brushes are used for de-matting and removing undercoat and dead hair from all coat types. Pin brushes are used for dogs with longer flowing coats to remove tangles, and bristle brushes are used to remove dirt and debris from wirey or combination coats. They also add shine to the coat.

If you have a dog that sheds a lot, you’ll want to look for a shedding blade, which is used to remove loose, dead hair from flat, short and combination coats. You can also try an undercoat rake – a brush with a single row of straight metal tines that remove tangles and the undercoat from dogs with heavy coats or double coats.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsIn case the KONG Zoom Groom isn’t available, I would recommend the FURminator Curry Comb. It also features rubber bristles that are ideal for removing dirt and loose hair from your dog’s coat. The rubber bristles are specifically molded to stimulate the production of natural oils, which will help promote the health of his skin and coat. This brush is only for short and medium coats – it should not be used on dogs with long hair.

The Best Dog Brush (VIDEO)

KONG Zoom Groom Dog Brush Review

Best Dog Brush for PetsRubber brushes are also referred to as curry brushes, and they are excellent for keeping your dog’s fur clean. Our chocolate lab, Saddie, is only 6 months old, and it seems like she’s always rolling around on the ground outside. The KONG Zoom Groom pulls the dirt out of Saddie’s coat and leaves it looking clean and shiny.

As I mentioned, the rubber bristles of this brush also help to stimulate the capillaries in your pet’s skin to promote the production of oil. Rubber brushes like this one also help to spread that oil through the coat [3]. Spreading the oil around helps give your dog’s coat that shiny, sleek look that pet owners love.

My favorite thing about using a rubber brush is how gentle it is on my dogs.

Although KONG does specify that the Zoom Groom can be used on any type of coat, I would not recommend using it on dogs with long hair. Loose hair sticks to the rubber, which is great in most cases, but long hair could stick to the bristles and be pulled. This may cause your pet a lot of pain and discomfort.

If your dog has fur, this is the brush for you. The rubber bristles are gentle on the skin so you don’t have to worry about your Fido getting scratched by metal bristles. Rubber brushes are also gentle enough to be used on sensitive areas like the ears, paws and belly.

Best Pet Brush for PetsThe KONG Zoom Groom can also be used as a shampoo brush when you bathe your dog. This is by far my favorite feature! Before the Zoom Groom I used to have to dig my fingers down into my dogs’ coats to make sure that I was cleaning their skin as well and removing all the hidden dirt and debris. With two large dogs, my hands would get tired after I was only halfway through bathing each dog.

I don’t have to worry about that anymore. Every time I bathe my girls I use the Zoom Groom to scrub instead of my fingers. It’s gentle and they really seem to like the massaging action. Our boxer, Chloe, has anxiety at bath time, but massaging her with this grooming tool seems to help calm her a bit. You can use it as often in the tub as you like and it won’t affect the brushes performance on dry fur. Many pet parents who purchased this product on Amazon agree with me, as you can see in their product reviews.

Runner-up: Best DeShedding Brush for Dogs

A dog’s coat variation is determined by his genes. Two purebred dogs of the same breed will still have varying coats. Every dog’s skin and coat is just a little different [4], and it’s up to you to figure out which best dog brush your Fido needs. A great way to do this is to consult with a professional dog groomer. Your veterinarian may have some tips for you as well.

Video: Best Dog Brush Review - Pet Grooming Tool for Small Dogs - Shiba Inu

FULL REVIEW: FURminator Dog Deshedding Tool Review

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsRegular brushing won’t stop your dog from shedding, but it will remove a lot of the unwanted hair so it doesn’t end up around your home or on your furniture and clothes.

One of the major concerns for many dog owners is shedding. You can buy deshedding tools to help pull the loose hair out of your dog’s coat. One of the most highly reviewed canine deshedding brushes is the FURminator DeShedding Tool. You can get a FURminator designed for long or short hair and they come in five sizes including extra small, small, medium, large and giant.

The FURminator is highly reviewed by pet parents, professional groomers and even veterinarians. It seems like everyone loves this product. The stainless steel deshedding brush head reaches deep down underneath you dog’s topcoat to remove all the loose hair. The hair collects in the small teeth, and you can eject the fur with just a quick push of the FURejector button. It’s so easy, and it keeps you from having to remove the hair with your fingers.

The company claims that this brush will reduce your dog’s shedding by up to 90%, and dog owners agree!

This deshedding tool from FURminator is equipped with an ergonomically designed handle that makes it comfortable and easy to brush your pet. This best dog brush was actually designed by a groomer to achieve professional results, and it’s guaranteed to reduce shedding [5] better than any other comb, brush or rake on the market.

To get the best results with this brush you should use it right after bathing and drying your dog. Only use it on a completely dry coat. You’ll also need to use a slicker brush or a comb to remove all the mats and tangles from your dog’s coat before using the FURminator DeShedding Tool. If you don’t, this brush will pull on the knots and mats and cause your dog a lot of pain.

With over 7,500 reviews on Amazon and a 4.7 out of 5 star rating, I think it’s safe to say that consumers agree that the FURminator DeShedding Tool is the best on the market.

Video Comparison of Several Best Brushes for Dogs

Want to know how some of these dog brushes perform on different types of dog coats? Then take a look at my extensive comparison/review article and video where I put test some of the most popular brushes and deshedding tools for dogs.

Video: Demonstrating the Furminator dog brush June,2014

In this comparison video and article, I will also provide you with my personal opinion, observations and tips on using these pet brushes. However, it all ultimately comes down to you, your preferences and, of course, your dog and his coat type.

FULL COMPARISON: FURminator vs. DakPets vs. Magic Pro Pet Deshedding Tool

Best Pin & Bristle Dog Brush

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsIf you have a long haired dog, you’re going to need a pin brush in your grooming toolkit. These dog brushes have metal pins with small rounded tips that cover the sharp ends. They are great for brushing out tangles and they can go through the topcoat and under coat. Some pin brushes, like the Safari Pin & Bristle Brush for Dogs, also have a bristle head on the opposite side.

Knowing which type of brush [6] to use on your dog is an essential part of proper grooming. The back side of this dog brush by Safari is a bristle brush. It’s a really great all around brush to keep on hand for most coat types – though it’s especially useful on short haired dogs with smooth coats. As a general rule of thumb, the more coarse your pet’s coat, the stiffer the bristles should be. The bristles on this brush are fairly soft, meaning it would be best suited for dogs with soft to medium coats.

Pin brushes are good for dogs with long coats like golden retrievers, collies, sheepdogs and Irish setters. They gently remove mats and tangles without pulling the hair.

The size of the pins varies on these types of dog brushes. Longer pins work better for long coats[7], and shorter pins are best for medium length coats or dogs with trimmed coats. This brush from Safari is best suited for small to medium breeds, and it has long pins. The wooden handle is contoured to provide a comfortable grip. According to their reviews on Amazon, customers agree that this brush is versatile and easy to use.

The Best Dog Slicker Brush

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for Dogs

Slicker brushes usually have a rectangle-shaped head and very fine metal bristles. They are designed to be used exclusively on dogs with long, thick hair. The fine bristling makes them ideal for removing knots and tangles. Wider slicker brushes can be used on large dogs and smaller ones are ideal for sensitive areas including the face, paws, legs and underbelly.

The Groomeasy Deshedding Self Cleaning Slicker Brush removes the loose hair from your pet’s undercoat without shearing the fur on top. While brushing, you will be removing dirt and dander from your dog’s coat as well, leaving it cleaner and preventing skin irritation. This best dog brush will gently remove the mats and tangles from your dog’s coat too.

Groomeasy has equipped this slicker brush with a convenient push button that retracts the bristles to easily remove the hair that is caught in them. Trust me, you won’t truly appreciate this self-cleaning feature until you use it, but once you do you’ll never want to go back to pulling hair out of a brush with your fingers again! It’s also fitted with a rubber handle, making the brush strong, durable and comfortable to use, and many Amazon customers were pleased with the results of this deshedding tool.

The Best Dog Brush for Mats

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsMats are densely tangled clumps of fur in your dog’s coat [7]. Sometimes you can comb out these mats, but if they are left for too long they will need to be cut. Matting is most common in long haired dogs, and the best tool to use on a pet with minor matting is a dematting comb. My research has shown that the barkOutfitters Dematting Comb is the best on the market.

This dematting comb has 9 computer-designed round teeth that won’t scratch or cut your pet’s skin. Each tooth has sharp safety edges that will cut through tough matts without pulling and hurting your pet. barkOutfitters recommends that this dematting comb be used on small and medium breeds with medium and long hair. The comb has a soft, ergonomically designed grip that the company claims is unbreakable.

I love the matt-busting 9 tooth design of this comb. It makes quick work of tough mats and knots, and the stainless steel teeth prevent rust and are easy to clean.

This comb has a thumb rest for comfort and added control, and the comb can be switched for left;handed use by simply removing a bolt on the end and turning the blade the other way. That’s something you don’t see on many grooming tools. Heavily matted hair can cut off circulation, hide infected wounds or effect a dog’s movement [8]. It is imperative to use a dematting comb, and barkOutfitters is so confident about this one that they offer a 100% guarantee for 5 years. Customers seem to agree, as you can see by the reviews they’ve left on Amazon.

The Bottom Line

The Best Dog Brush for PetsYou need to purchase the best dog brush that meets the needs of your individual dog. You’ll have to consider his coat and skin in your decision. Depending on your pet’s needs, it is likely that you will need more than one type of dog grooming brush or comb. If your dog’s coat requires a deshedding brush, dematting comb, slicker brush or other specific product, look for it among the best dog brushes to ensure you’re getting a quality product. If you’re interested in a general purpose dog brush for a dog with fur, the KONG Zoom Groom is your best option.

Now, let’s discuss the details of how I selected these choices for the best dog brush in each category, and what other options are available in case my top five choices don’t suit your dog’s individual needs.

Table of Contents

1. What you should know before buying
    2. What do I know about dog brushes?
    3. Can the best dog brush improve my dog’s health?
    4. Who should buy dog brushes?
    5. How I chose these dog brushes
    6. How I researched and evaluated each brand of dog brush
    7. My pick of the best dog brush
    8. Who else likes it?
    9. Flaws but not deal breakers
    10. The runner-up
    11. If my other picks aren’t available
    12. A pick for dogs with undercoats
    13. Full list of ten best dog brushes
    14. What to look forward to
    15. Wrapping it up
    16. References and further readings

What you should know before buying a dog brush

Proper grooming keeps your pet healthy. Not only will your Fido look and smell better with proper brushing, but it’ll also make him more comfortable and allow you to spot some common health problems before they become a major issue. Regular brushing allows you the opportunity to check for bumps, injuries or dry flaky skin – all minor issues that could lead to something more severe [9].

What do I know about dog brushes?

Honestly, not a lot- at least I didn’t know much about them before beginning my research for this article. But I do know a lot about dog coats, and we’ve had pets with many different types of coats over the years. I’ve had experience with every type of dog brush available, and I am fully aware of the importance of brushing your dog regularly.

My experience with dogs has given me a lot of hands-on understanding of the best dog brush for each coat type, but it’s my background as a writer that has given me the knowledge. I’ve been writing about dog-related matters for more than two years, and in this time I have done a lot of research and spoken with many experts about proper canine grooming and the importance of a quality dog brush.

Can the best dog brush improve my dog’s health?

The answer is actually yes – let me explain. Dog breeders have been focused on breeding canines for aesthetic beauty for decades. Canines have coats with longer and thicker fur or hair than ever before [11]. Although a healthy coat may be a sign of genetic royalty, an unhealthy coat can be equally as telling.

Your pet’s skin and coat are his first line of defense against the germs and toxins of the outside world, and without regular grooming those bacteria and contaminates can fester in His coat for long periods of time.

Nutrition effects the health of your pet’s coat from the inside [12], but grooming is the only way to benefit his skin and coat from the outside. Removing dirt and debris by grooming your dog’s coat regularly will prevent them from entering his body when he licks himself. Brushing also stimulates the capillaries in your dog’s skin, promoting the release of oils that will aid in the health of his coat. In short, a healthy coat leads to a healthy dog.

Who should buy dog brushes?

If you haven’t guessed yet, every pet parent should buy at least one best dog brush. As I mentioned, your dog’s coat may require more than one, but even if you have a short haired pet you should have at least one brush in your grooming toolkit. No matter what size or breed your dog is, you need to invest in a dog brush – even if you take him in for regular grooming. Your dog should be brushed every day for optimum health benefits.

Just because your dog’s hair doesn’t get tangled, doesn’t mean that it won’t get dirty. Bathing is great, but unless you give your Fido a bath every day, you need to brush him daily to keep his skin and coat clean and healthy. Daily brushing removes dead hair and skin cells, and it also gives you the opportunity to spot any unwanted parasites that may be trying to feed on your pet.

How I chose these top ten best dog brushes

I’ve used every type of dog brush at some point in my life. We’ve always adopted dogs, which means we have experience with many different coat types. We’ve had long- and short-haired dogs, dogs with coarse hair and dogs with fine hair. We’ve also had dogs, like our current chocolate lab, who shed excessively.

Based on my research, I was able to select the 10 best dog brush options available to pet parents.

Over the years I’ve found a few brushes that I really like, so that’s where I started. I thought about why I liked them and what features they offered that other similar products did not. I checked out information from professional pet groomers and veterinarians to see what they recommended, and then I went to the consumer reviews. A brush may be highly recommended by professionals being paid to endorse it, but I needed to know if these best dog brushes could perform in the real world.

How I researched and evaluated each dog brush

My research was done online through many different sources. There is a lot of misinformation available, especially online, and I needed to be sure that my sources were trusted and reliable. I gathered information from articles and blogs from experts in the pet health industry, manufacturer’s websites and I culled through thousands of consumer reviews.

I was able to gather numerous expert recommendations, so I decided to sort them into categories. After all, I know every dog owner has a unique pet and they are all looking for something different. Once I split the best dog brush contenders into categories I dove into the consumer reviews. Did pet parents who purchased these brushes actually enjoy using them? Better yet, did the dogs like them?

What is the best dog brush for dogs

My best dog brush pick

I wanted my top pick to be a dog brush that could be used by a vast majority of dog owners. It needed to be safe and easy for owners to use. The KONG Zoom Groom meets the needs of both of our dogs, and we even use it on all three of our cats! My main concern is always that our animals are comfortable and safe. A rubber brush, like the Zoom Groom, provides both.

The entire brush is made of rubber. The bristles will not hurt your pet or scratch his skin, and I know that’s a concern for many pet owners. The rubber grips hair like a magnet and pulls it from your dog’s coat. When I use this with my girls I just give the brush a little shake after a few swipes down their body and most of the hair will fall off without you having to pull it off.

The soft, rubber bristles of this brush stimulate the capillaries in your dog’s skin and help to promote natural oil production that will improve dog’s skin and coat.

I’m always in search of products that are made in the USA, and this is one of them. It also comes in two colors: raspberry or boysenberry. The Zoom Groom by KONG is also available in a regular size or a smaller size for puppies and small breeds.

Using this best dog brush on our short haired boxer, Chloe, is amazing. It pulls more fur off of her than any other brush we’ve ever used. Chloe’s fur is fairly coarse, but the Zoom Groom is still able to grab the loose hair and remove it from her coat. It works on our lab too. It pulls a lot of hair out of her top coat and removes a lot of dirt and debris as well.

Our lab, Saddie, has a double coat and she sheds A LOT! This rubber bristle brush doesn’t work as well as other deshedding tools like the FURminator on her double coat. The Zoom Groom is a great overall brush to have on hand, but if your dog has a particular issue, like shedding or mats, you’ll want to be sure to get a brush or comb that is specifically designed to relieve the issue.

The Best Dog Brush ReviewIt is my personal opinion that every dog owner should invest in a KONG Zoom Groom for one simple reason: it can be used as a shampooing brush as well as a dry brush. This is my favorite feature. I never give my girls a bath without the Zoom Groom anymore. It works deep down into their coat to reach their skin and remove all the dirt from their coat.

All I have to do is wet their fur, apply the shampoo, and the Zoom Groom does the hard work for me.

I don’t have to dig my fingers in to massage the shampoo into their fur anymore. My hands used to get so fatigued after giving the dogs a bath, but after testing out the Zoom Groom I no longer have that problem. No matter how often you use this brush in the bath, it won’t change its effectiveness on dry fur. This best dog brush is two products in one!

Who else likes it?

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsOther dog owners love this brush as much as I do it. It’s been reviewed on Amazon nearly 1,300 times, and it currently holds a 4.5 out of 5 star review. Dog owners love the versatility of this brush. It works on so many different coat types, and it’s comfortable for the dog owner or groomer to use. Consumers with multi-pet households are impressed with the Zoom Groom’s ability to work on other animals too. Many pet owners purchased the brush to use while shampooing their dog and ended up loving the way it works on dry fur as well.

Jenna Riane: Pet Owners MUST Have Zoom Grooms (May 16, 2007. Read full review.) “I’ve been a Zoom Groom user for 6 years. I had 2 cats and 1 dog in that time and have used it on all three…The brush also works better and is easier to use than any other brush I’ve tried. It really pulls up the undercoat and makes her super smooth and shiny. It also works great on my short haired Boston Terrier/Chihuahua cross dog…”

MercyStreet: Makes bath time better (November 26,2006. Read full review.) “Our beagle barely tolerates getting a bath — not a fan of water, he tries to wiggle out of the tub. We tried using the zoom groom as a bath brush and it helped a lot. He calmed down immediately and even seemed to enjoy the way it felt. He has such a hard, dense coat — the zoom groom during bath time helped strip out more of the loose fur, and it got him a lot cleaner than using our hands alone…”

proud pug mom: UNBELIEVABLE how well this brush works! (August 9, 2007. Read full review.) “I’ve never written a product review, but felt compelled after using this brush on my pug. I never realized how much he sheds until I brushed him with this product and the loose hair started literally piling up on his back. Every time I changed direction (with and against the grain of his fur, sideways, in circles, etc.), even more loose hair surfaced. I think it has something to do with the static electricity from the rubber “bristles,” but I’m just guessing. He hates regular brushes but loves the feeling of the Zoom Groom’s pliable, rubbery “fingers” — he even carries it around in his mouth!…”

Flaws but not deal breakers

I mentioned briefly that KONG specifies that this best dog brush can be used on all coat types. My only concern would be dogs with long hair. The hair sticks to the rubber, which is what you want to remove the loose hair, but I’m afraid that the brush may pull long hair. You’d need to be sure to use a pin brush and remove any mats or tangles before using the Zoom Groom on a dog with long hair.

Many consumers agree that this isn’t the best brush for a dog with an undercoat. It works great on Saddie’s top coat – removing all the loose unwanted hair and pulling the dirt from her fur. However, if I brush her with the Zoom Groom and then immediately brush her with the undercoat rake that we have, I always get a lot more hair. Typically I use the undercoat rake on her first and then use the Zoom Groom to tidy up the top coat and leave her fur looking smooth and shiny.

As I mentioned, I love how you can just shake this brush and the hair falls out. You don’t have to stick your fingers in the rubber bristles and fight to pull hair out. Not all pet parents like that though. Many consumers noted that loose hair tends to fly off the brush as you are brushing your pet. I brush my girls outside, so this isn’t an issue for me, but if you brush your dog in a confined area where you’ll need to pick up all the hair and dispose of it in a trash can, this may be an issue for you as well.

The runner-up for the best dog brush

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsIf you’re looking for a deshedding brush, there’s no better grooming tool on the market than the FURminator DeShedding Tool. The company claims that by using this brush on your pet for just 10 minutes per day you’ll reduce his shedding by up to 90%. That’s 90% less hair that will be in your home, on your furniture and stuck to your clothing.

The FURminator is equipped with the FURejector button that cleans the loose hair from the tool with ease. That means you can use the brush with one hand and use the other to caress or hold your dog to keep him still. It’s a great feature if you’ve got a wiggly dog like I do. Saddie sits still while I brush her, but as soon as I take both hands off of her she starts walking around.

This deshedding tool from FURminator is highly recommended by professional groomers, veterinarians and other canine professionals. In fact, it was designed by a professional groomer to give pet parents professional results at home. The handle is ergonomically designed to make brushing comfortable and easy no matter how many dogs you groom in a day. It’s perfect for dog owners, multi-pet homes and professionals.

The impressive response from consumers says a lot about this dog brush.

The stainless steel teeth are durable, and you won’t have to worry about rust. They reach deep into your pet’s coat to remove all the loose hair and debris. The teeth aren’t sharp, so they won’t scratch your dog’s skin, and FURminator guarantees that their patented technologies will reduce shedding better than any dog comb, brush or rake on the market.

The company has also redesigned the brush to work for virtually any size and breed of canine. It comes in two styles- one for short hair and one for long. It also comes in five sizes ranging from extra small to giant. The price varies by size, but typically this brush is a bit more expensive than others on the market. A brush for a large breed dog with long hair is going to cost you about $58, but remember that you’re getting what you pay for – the mostly highly reviewed and recommended deshedding tool available.

In order to grab the hair and remove it from the coat, the teeth of the FURminator are very close together. This means that if your dog’s coat has any knots, mats or tangles it will pull them and cause him pain. You need to make sure that you only use this tool on a completely dry coat that has been brushed to remove any tangles.

If my other picks aren’t available

These aren’t the only high quality dog brushes on the market. There are other kinds of brushes available as well. Remember to choose a brush that is suited for your dog’s coat and comfortable for you to use. Nutrition will influence the appearance of your dog’s skin and coat as well [14]. If you feel that you’re maintaining his overall health and wellbeing well from the outside, you may want to have a chat with your vet about how his health is being maintained from the inside.

A healthy diet and the best dog brush are the two best ways to keep your dog healthy and looking great. Once you decide which dog brush or brushes that your pet’s coat requires, you can start shopping for the best one in that category. If you’re in doubt, do what I did and buy multiple brushes. Try them out on your dog and keep the one that works best on his unique coat.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsTo remove tangles and brush through short and curly coats, a boar bristle brush is a great option. Full boar bristle brushes are softer than brushes that mix boar bristles and nylon (or synthetic) bristles. The PRODogs Pet-It Boar Bristle Brush for Dogs features 50% boar bristles and 50% synthetic bristles. It’s a hand-held brush that smooths your pet’s coat and helps to distribute natural oils through his fur.

This best dog brush is designed with Conair’s Palm-Petting Grip technology that fits easily in the palm of your hand. You can slip the grip through your fingers and hold the brush comfortably in your hand instead of having to firmly grasp a handle. This prevents hand fatigue while grooming, and allows you to use the same motion as petting, which will make your Fido feel more comfortable.

Consumers rave about this brush’s gentle bristles. Especially for dogs with thin, short coats it can be easy to scratch their skin as there is not much fur protecting them. Both the boar and synthetic bristles will be soft on your dog’s skin, while still strong enough to work through tangles and minor knots.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for Dogs

If you’ve got a dog with a thick coat or an undercoat that seems to shed constantly, you’ll need a special grooming tool that will reach deep down and remove all the loose and unwanted hair before it is shed around your home. Excessive shedding isn’t always healthy, but in some cases, like with our chocolate lab Saddie, dogs just shed a lot – there’s nothing wrong with their skin or coat, they are just a dog that tends to shed heavily [14]. For breeds like this, the ShedMonster De-Shedding Tool will be a big help.

I highly recommend this tool for dogs with an undercoat. The teeth are designed to reach into the undercoat and remove hair that would otherwise be stuck underneath harboring dirt and bacteria.

This best dog brush from Oster is equipped with stainless steel curved teeth that easily reach through the topcoat to penetrate deep down into the undercoat. The teeth look intimidating, but the smooth, round edges actually provide a massaging action that stimulates your dog’s skin. Many pet owners that purchased this brush said their dog enjoyed being groomed with it.

The one-piece handle provides a sturdier design than other similar products. The ShedMonster is equipped with an ergonomic handle that is covered with a non-slip grip. Not only will this brush provide deshedding action, but it also detangles and demats your dog’s coat as well. It works great on dogs with short or long coats, and Oster also promises a 90% reduction in shedding if you use this tool on your dog daily.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsAnother top choice for dogs with a short, silky coat is the FURminator Dog Dual Brush. One side is a pin brush and the other is a soft bristle brush. The pin brush can be used to remove knots and tangles and the bristle brush smooths the coat and gives it a gorgeous shine. This brush is specifically designed to follow the natural contours of your dog’s body and head.

You may think that your short-coated dog doesn’t need regular brushing, but that’s not the case at all. Research has shown that a proper diet can do wonders for the health of your dog’s skin and coat [15], but he’ll still need regular grooming. Dogs with short hair still shed, and that can be helped with regular brushing. Using a brush like this one from FURminator will also remove dirt and debris from your dog’s fur, aiding in his overall health and well-being.

This best dog brush only comes in one size, and many consumers were displeased – saying it was too small for their dog. It seems to work well for small and small/medium breeds, but owners with large/medium, large and extra-large breeds were disappointed. The brush measures 8.2 inches long, the brush head is 2.6 inches across and it is 1.6 inches wide.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsFor most of us, dogs are our best friends- part of our family. But for those with dog allergies, they can be torture. Although there is no such thing as a completely hypoallergenic pet [16], regular brushing can reduce some of the hair and allergens that can make guests in your home have an allergic reaction. For pet owners looking for something a little different than the traditional deshedding brush, you can try the Petmate FurBuster 3-in-1 Grooming Glove for Dogs.

The grooming glove features interior straps to accommodate groomers with smaller hands and ensure a universal fit for all consumers. It also has an adjustable wrist strap to keep the glove secure. One major benefit of this best dog brush is that it can be used wet or dry. The mesh outside allows water to flow through, and it encourages quick drying of your dog’s coat.

Like the KONG Zoom Groom, you can use this grooming glove from Petmate as a shampoo brush to scrub and massage your Fido in the bathtub.

If your dog has anxiety about grooming, this would be a great product to start using on him. It’s one of the gentlest grooming tools on the market, and because it’s a glove it feels just like you’re petting him. The physical closeness that this best dog brush fosters may help ease his anxiety.

A pick for dogs with undercoats

Canines are an amazing species. They have one of the widest ranges of physical characteristics of any species, and researchers are constantly studying their genetics [17]. As far as scientists are concerned, this wide range of physical characteristics is fascinating, but as far as dog owners are concerned that’s a challenge. One of the downfalls to many of the best dog brushes that I have listed here is that they work well for dogs with thin coats, but they aren’t designed for thick or double coats.

Best Dog Brush Review - Best Brush for DogsI mentioned that I use an undercoat rake on my lab Saddie, and the Oster Professional Pet Grooming Undercoat Rake is the one that I prefer. Undercoat rakes have specially designed teeth that strip the dead hair and shedding undercoat out of the dog and leave the topcoat undisturbed. The long, sharp blades of an undercoat rake separate the fur and dig through the coat to draw any loose clumps out.

You need to be careful not to use too much force when grooming your dog with an undercoat rake. This rake from Oster does have rounded ends on the teeth to help prevent skin irritation, but if you press too hard you may still end up causing your dog some discomfort or cutting into his skin. This is an issue common with all dog undercoat rakes, not just the Professional Pet Grooming Undercoat Rake from Oster.

This undercoat rake will also work out minor tangles and mats without having to use a dematting comb. Take it from me, this will save you a lot of time and hassle.

I did a lot of research on this product before purchasing it, and for the money you won’t find anything better on the market. You can buy this rake for about $22 on Amazon, and other comparable products are usually around $40-$50. It pulls clumps of hair from Saddie, and consumers say it has the same effect on breeds including huskies, golden retrievers, and long haired shepherds.

Full list of top ten best dog brushes

1. KONG Zoom Groom
    2. FURminator DeShedding Tool
    3. Safari Pin & Bristle Brush for Dogs
    4. Groomeasy Deshedding Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
    5. barkOutfitters Dematting Comb
    6. PRODogs Pet-It Boar Bristle Brush for Dogs
    7. ShedMonster De-Shedding Tool
    8. FURminator Dog Dual Brush
    9. Petmate FurBuster 3-in-1 Grooming Glove for Dogs
    10. Oster Professional Pet Grooming Undercoat Rake

What to look forward to

Technology is always changing and researchers are discovering new things about canines every day. We’ll surely see these two forces come together in the near future to bring us new and improved grooming tools for our furry friends. As we learn more about coat types, skin conditions and illnesses that affect our pet’s skin and coat we gain a better understanding of the tools that we need to care for them properly.

Deshedding tools have grown in popularity in recent years, and I believe there will be many more released in the near future. I don’t know if any will be able to top the FURminator DeShedding Tool, but we’ll just have to wait and see. New products are always hitting the market, so keep your eyes open for the latest dog brushes to hit store shelves. Just be sure to do your research first. You don’t want to waste your money on a new product just to find out it doesn’t work.

Wrapping it up

Proper grooming reduces shedding and allergens, cleans your dog’s coat and aids in his overall health and wellbeing [18]. Every dog requires basic brushing, no matter what length or type his coat is. You need to select a brush that is going to work best on your dog’s unique coat. Speaking with your veterinarian or a professional groomer will give you excellent insight into the types of brushes and grooming tools that you’ll need to care for your dog.

I’ve learned the hard way, and I don’t want you to follow in my footsteps. Don’t make your brush selection based on price alone. Everyone loves a good deal, but when it comes to dog brushes, the cheaper options won’t work as well and they may not be as safe. Once you decide what type of dog brush you&rsq

Reviews & Comments

Related posts