Denise richards wants you to adopt a rescue pet

Video: Denise Richards on Adopting Her Daughter Eloise | Where Are They Now? | Oprah Winfrey Network

Actress, mother, and animal-lover, Denise Richards says she wants you to adopt a rescue pet. In the celebrity blog post for iVillage below, she writes about her passion for animals and her involvement in animal-rescue efforts. You’ll also read about some of the lucky pups she’s personally adopted.

Video: Popular Videos - Denise Richards

Denise Richards Wants You to Adopt a Rescue Pet

I have been a huge animal lover since I can remember. When I was little, I swear I brought home every stray dog, hoping my parents would let me keep it. When I first started acting I would help at shelters and once worked for a dog groomer, though she was hesitant to hire me after she saw I had neatly manicured nails. I convinced her I didn’t care if the dogs jumped on me, pooped on me, or scratched me. All of that did not matter. I think when you become a public figure, it’s an amazing platform to raise awareness for causes.

One of the many causes near and dear to my heart is animal rescue. I do a lot for Best Friends Animal Society. I am very active in their Pup My Ride program. Every other Monday when I’m not working, I go to the shelter and we take out 30-50 dogs that would otherwise be euthanized. I have to say the first few times I went, I cried every time seeing all those dogs that we couldn’t take, knowing most of them would end up being put down. It’s very hard for me to go to the shelter but I go and focus on the ones we can save.

The dogs we take out are transferred to an amazing facility in Utah or Montana. Since joining the program, over 2,000 dogs have been adopted. They all live at a sanctuary until they find their forever home. Because of the drive, dogs that are too sick, hurt, or seniors can’t make the transport. Those are the dogs that really tug at my heart.

Since I started working with Best Friends, I personally have taken home a sweet 16-year-old dog (I couldn’t imagine her ending her days at a shelter after 16 years!). I have a dog that was left starved to death and with cancer (she is doing great!). I have a dog that was abused and had her leg amputated (you wouldn’t even know she has three legs the way she moves around). I have a dog that was a victim of a very bad hoarding situation — his legs were very damaged, but we fixed him up too! I also have a dog that was born with no eyes. These dogs were all going to be euthanized. They are so loving and so happy at our home.

I’m a big supporter of adopting from your local shelter or a rescue group instead of going to a pet store or breeder. There are so many puppies at the shelters (I have fostered so many litters) and many purebreds are at the shelters as well.

As a woman heavily involved in pet rescue, we can understand why Denise Richards wants you to adopt a rescue pet. Read the rest of her blog post here. Have you adopted a shelter or rescue dog? Tell us your story in the comments below.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts