Stray dog that was living in an abandoned car now has a loving home

In May of 2013, the veterinary team from Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah, was helping Soul Dog Rescue, a nonprofit animal rescue organization that provides low-cost or free spay/neuter for dogs in their area, mainly on Indian Reservations. On this visit, the group met a very special dog – Tinkerbelle.

Tinkerbelle was being cared for by a kind Native American family who said she was living in an abandoned car with other homeless dogs. The family had not only been providing food and water, but the children loved Tinkerbelle and played with her regularly. However, they could not afford vet care and so they brought her to the Soul Dog group to get her spayed.

Image source: Best Friends

The team immediately noticed was that Tinkerbelle needed more than just a spay. She had a very bad skin condition. It was decided that her condition was severe enough that she needed to go to the Best Friends Sanctuary for treatment and to find a permanent home. The family that had been caring for her was pleased she was going to be given the treatment she deserved.

According the one of the vet tech’s blog who helped rescue Tinkerbelle:

“Her skin scrape was negative for demodectic mange. Her test for ringworm has not been completed yet, but seems to be negative, I believe. She might have sarcoptic mange, and she definitely has a yeast/fungal infection for which she’s being treated with antibiotics and medicated baths. She’s a little itchy and was very scared at first, but she’s adjusting well and is very sweet. She also has a shrinking/shrunken right eye that might be a result of an old injury or infection. The antibiotics will help this, and Dr. Tara said it may or may not need surgery in the future.”

Tinkerbelle was put in the Guardian Angels program – these are special-needs animals (both medical and emotional) that need a bit of extra time before they can be adopted. Guardian Angels give monthly to help these special animals, and Best Friends posts ongoing updates so donors can see how they are progressing thanks to their gifts.

Video: Dog Living In Burned Out Abandoned Home Rescued

Slow But Steady Progress

They began treating Tinkerbelle for her various skin conditions and while it takes time, she started to show improvement within a few weeks. The below picture was taken roughly two weeks after she got to Best Friends, at the end of May.

By June, She looks like a different dog! She was spayed and her eye not only cleared up, but it turned out to be fully functional – no surgery needed! It’s amazing what some good care can do!

By August, Tinkerbelle had a gorgeous, soft coat and her personality just kept blossoming. She had to get over an aversion to men, but a patient Best Friends Staff member, Tom, helped her with that. According to a staff member’s blog, she was quite the love bug:

“As Tink greeted me with a wagging tail and a look that seemed to say “pet me,” and not being able to resist, I did. Tinkerbelle seemed to enjoy the attention I was giving her. As usual, it was another busy day in Dogtown, and I was feeling fairly exhausted by noon. After getting to know Tink for a few hours, I decided, “What the hey? I’m going to nap with her in the side room over lunch.” So I grabbed a few dog beds, positioned them inside her run, and lay down. Sure enough, within a few moments, Tinkerbelle came right over and lay side by side next to me. She put her head on my chest for the duration of our hour-long nap.”

A Forever Home

In September of 2013, Tinkerbelle received her happily ever after she deserved. It was fate, her new owner says, because she had thought Tink was not available for adoption when she arrived at DogTown that day:

“I fell in love with Tinkerbelle at first meeting. I went to the Clubhouse area of Dogtown with a friend who was going to check on another dog she was considering adopting. Tinkerbelle was housed in the same area and was just so happy and friendly and giving kisses – just adorable! However, I did not think that she would be available for adoption since I had overheard one of the caregivers say that someone else was already very interested in adopting her. Over the next couple of days, while checking out other potential adoptees, I kept thinking about Tinkerbelle. Finally, I just had to say something to Kristie. I let her know that if for any reason the other person did not take Tinkerbelle, I would take her in a heartbeat! The next day, Kristie let me know that Tinkerbelle was available. We immediately made arrangements for her to meet my other dog (Hal, a 60-pound German shepherd cross, whom I adopted from Best Friends in 2010) and completed the paperwork for the adoption that day.”

Thanks to the family that wanted what was best for Tinkerbelle, and the amazing care at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary’s Dogtown, Tinkerbelle is now the queen of her new home, wrestling with her new brother Hal and getting daily snuggles and playtime.

To help other dogs in need, donate to Best Friends today. To learn more about their Guardian Angel program, go here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts