Dogtra iq yard training collar review

Dogtra IQ Yard Training Collar Review

Leashes are old school, but electronic training collars are modern! And if you’re looking for a good option, Dogtra IQ – Yard Training Collar ranks pretty well among its competitors.

Electric dog training collars have been receiving some heat from dog owners as of late. However, many dog trainers and experts have advocated the use of these shock collars on dogs as long as you purchase a high quality collar and learn how to use it properly. This is key in ensuring that your pet will never be harmed.

ATTENTION, dear dog owner. Before you purchase ANY type of electric shock collar for your dog, please take a look at the following articles and strongly consider conclusions drawn by scientific evidence and dog experts:

• The end for shock collars?
  • Electronic training collars present welfare risk to pet dogs
  • Studies on shock collars on dogs

Dogtra have gained a solid reputation in the dog collars market, and their IQ collar is definitely one of the star products. Small and lightweight, it’s one of the most powerful e-collars available today. With water-resistant tech, good features, quick recharge plus 400-yard range, this is something you definitely want to consider as a viable option.

Dogtra IQ yard training collar specifications:

1. Precise stimulation levels that go from 0 to 100: choose how strong of a buzz to use. Power levels of around 10-20 seem to be pretty weak where you can only feel a slight tingling, but levels around 60-70 are usually ideal, depending on the size of your dog.
  2. Durable collar-receiver that weights only 3.9 ounces: very easy to use and it is most comfortably fitted for smaller and some medium dogs that weight 10 pounds and up.
  3. Range of 400 yards (1/4 mile): majority of customers found that 400 yards is close to perfect range, but occasionally you might find that it’s a little too far or not far enough.
  4. Three different types of stimulation: momentary stimulation (or “nick”), continuous stimulation, and no-stimulation vibration (or “pager”).
  5. Comes with a blue LCD screen: this allows you to track the battery life as well as see which type of stimulation is currently set.
  6. Transmitter and receiver are water-proof: both techs can withstand large amounts of water for long periods of time. Perfect for dog owners whose dogs love rainy weather.
  7. Quick-charge technology: it takes only 2 hours to fully charge the battery.
  8. Rechargeable “Rapid Charge” batteries + replaceable Ni-MH batteries

User manual: Dogtra IQ collar user manual can be found here.

Size and weight

• Collar weight with receiver: 3.9 ounces
  • Collar length: 26 inches
  • Collar length with receiver: 27 inches
  • Collar dimensions: 2.25″ x 1.5″ x 1.25″
  • Transmitter weight: 2.4 ounces
  • Transmitter size: 5″ x 1.75″ x 0.85″ (antennae included)

Collar is small, convenient, and without any external antennae. Transmitter isn’t big either, is stylish and ergonomic.

For more specific information, please refer to the Q&A section on the product’s Amazon page where majority of customers’ questions have already been answered.

Video: Learn To Train The Good Dog Way: How to Train E-Collar Recall Pt 1

Dogtra IQ Yard Training Collar Review

Dogtra-IQ-Yard-Training-Collar-Review-Dimensions

I dislike taking my beagle around with a leash but because she’s fast and hyper, I have to make use of one. Not only are leashes very uncomfortable for a dog, but as a long time dog owner, I can tell you that often holding them is no piece of cake either. Small and hyperactive dogs are even more difficult to handle because they tend to run everywhere.

I remember there have been a few times where my dog would try to run and I’d have to yell at her so she’d stop doing that while I was holding her leash. Almost instantly I’d feel bad about it because she would give me the look which could melt anybody’s heart, unless you’re soulless.

Having said that, wouldn’t it be so much better if you could just let your dog be, and trust that it’d come back to you when you feel like he or she was going too far without having to use a leash? When it first came to me, I knew I’m going to love this as a solution, so I started my research.

As I was looking up different types of collars and leashes I came across something that was a little unconventional but it seemed to fit the kind of collar I had in mind. This was the Dogtra IQ dog training collar, an electric collar highly praised by dog owners everywhere. I was not disappointed.

Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5

This is one of the most popular dog products on Amazon. See the most recent customer reviews from Amazon.com:

Bfly’s review (more reviews): “My dog is crazy fast (part italian greyhound). When she takes off all she is thinking about is running. She doesn’t hear me, even if that means she is heading toward a road. This collar helps me get her attention and keep her safe. Worth every penny. No complaints at all. I love the size. I think this is the best, quality collar you can get for a smaller dog.5 out of 5.

tr0ntr0n21’s review (more reviews): “This collar is amazing, I can’t believe I waited so long to get one. I really thought that using something like this was cruel and I still hesitate to mention it to certain people since “shock collar” has such a negative designation. I tell people this is an “E-collar” and explain to them that it has a pager / vibrate option that I use 99% of the time and the other option is something that feels like a TENS unit that makes the muscles contract.5 out of 5.

grillking’s review (more reviews): “I have been researching training collars for about a year to use on our small dog- rat terrier/jack Russell mix. Our dog is about a year old and she is as stubborn as can be. Her attention span towards our family is 5-10 minutes off the leash and after that her ADD kicks in and she quickly forgets her owners. Well, after today her stubbornness, ADD, and blow off attitude is no longer an issue..!!! The Dogtra IQ collar was installed around her neck and lo and behold it has stunningly cured her- it’s a miracle!5 out of 5.

In-Stock-at-Amazon

Video: Dogtra IQ 400 Yard Remote Trainer Review

What’s in the package?

The whole package consists of a receiver, transmitter, charger and an owner’s manual. It was neatly packed when it arrived- casing is attractive, and I was also happy to find out that it comes with rechargeable batteries, because that saved me a trip to the store.

How does it work?

Dogtra-IQ-Dog-Shock-Collar

If you have a small dog like a beagle, poodle, Chihuahua or a puppy, you might find this collar to be pretty useful. There’s nothing technical to it and you don’t need an PhD to understand how it works either.

The Dogtra IQ shock collar works a lot like a beeper. So, every time you find your dog running way too far, you use the remote to send a short buzz to the collar — your friend get the hint and comes back to the safety zone.

I found that it’s better to use this product after training your dog so he/she knows why this collar-thing is buzzing, and it’s irreplaceable for early dog obedience training. Once you’ve gone through some quick “introduction” with your canine, it will make the things a whole lot easier both for yourself and your little friend.

Interesting note: I also found that smaller dogs are more susceptible to shock collar training than larger breeds.

Things to consider

Overall, the product is great, but here are a few things you should probably consider.

Range. The Dogtra IQ yard training collar has a 400-yard range and for some this might not be enough, especially if you’re training your dog in big outdoor areas. But before you make up your mind, make sure you’re aware how far 400 actually is.

Price. The price could be a little cheaper, although the value is definitely worth it, as many people have already pointed out.

Batteries. I personally haven’t experienced that, but some people claim that their receivers die too quickly. This appears to be somewhat uncommon problem though, with majority of customers who used the Dogtra IQ collar claiming no such thing. But even then, with the 2-hour quick-charge, you can put it on charge right after you come back form a walk and it’ll be ready before you have to go out again.

How to use Dogtra IQ e-collar

It’s actually extremely simple to use, and you don’t require any tech knowledge. You split the package: your dog gets the Dogtra collar, which you put on like any regular collar, and you carry the transmitter.

The transmitter (remote) itself is pretty small (see specs above), and you can carry it with you whenever you go. If you want your dog to come back to you, all you have to do is buzz it.

The product is both water-proof and water-resistant (not just water-resistant, like most) so even if you are that type of person who likes to go out on a rainy day (or maybe your dog just really has to go and it’s pouring), this can be easily accomplished with this shock collar.

You can use either rechargeable batteries, or regular Ni-MH ones. Rechargeable batteries can be recharged within 2 hours, which is perfect. Keep track of your battery life using the LED battery life indicator. Please note that for best results, both transmitter and receiver must be charged at the same time.

You can also play around with the stimulation levels: zero happens to be the lowest while 100 is the highest level you can get. The included blue LCD screen allows you to see which stimulation level is currently set.

Conclusion

After doing a significant amount of research, I wouldn’t hesitate to call it the best shock collar on the market. It is perfect for smaller dogs or puppies, and it’s difficult to find anything better for this kind of price. Normally, I wouldn’t pay more for a good e-collar than what this one costs — anything above $200 is a little much.

Electric collars are also great in case you can’t hold onto a leash for whatever reason — put on an e-collar, grab the transmitter and you’re set! There have been times before when my beagle would get so annoyed with the leash that she’d purposely run ahead to tell me “drop the leash, you!”

Check-Amazon-Price

If you’re still using a leash on a daily basis, note that this training collar can relieve you of that burden. That’s my reason for loving this technology – I prefer to keep my hands free when walking my canines.

Overall, I have to say that Dogtra IQ yard training collar is a great investment. It keeps your hands free, your dog safe and your mind calm. It comes with awesome functionality, is very convenient to have around, and it’s most effective at what it does when used with smaller dogs.

Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links, meaning that Top Dog Tips earns a commission if you purchase an item using any of these links. Please note that the above content is NOT a review of products but rather a compilation of items that have been rated and evaluated by customers who used them. We do NOT endorse any of the products and have not tested the items listed above, and we strongly urge you to do your own research before buying any pet supplies mentioned on this website.

Like this? SUBSCRIBE for more actionable tips for dog owners!
Thanks for subscribing! Please check your email for further instructions.
  • TAGS
  • Training
Facebook
Twitter

Previous articleElite Little Dog Inground Fence PIG00-10773 Review
Next articleMerry Products Dog Crate with Crate Cover Review
Angela Sawyer
Angela is a long-time writer on anything dogs. After growing up in a household full of pets, Angela`s love for dogs has only grown stronger, and now she’s stirring the ship of Top Dog Tips and is at the helm of everything that involves using dog products.
How To Teach Kids To Behave Around Dogsvideo
How-To
Best Dog Repellent Spray
Reviews
Crate Training Dogs
How-To
best dog training treats
Reviews
Dog Agility Competitions
How-To
How To Toilet Train A Puppy Effectivelyvideo
How-To