Review: eco dog care pet shampoo and freshening spray

Video: Dog Breath Freshener Oral Spray (8oz)

It’s true that grooming your dog at home can save you a lot of time and money. No more appointments at the groomer and no more professional prices!

Of course, some dogs still need professional grooming from time to time, but you can keep up with the in-between maintenance at home with safe and healthy grooming products like this dog shampoo and freshening spray from Eco Dog Care.

Not all grooming products are the same. Many pet parents think that most dog shampoos are the same, but they are terribly wrong. Like any other product that you buy for your pet, you need to make sure that choose wisely when it comes to home grooming supplies.

Video: Remove Pet Stains and Odors with the Big Apple Deodorizer Spray

Some dog shampoos are made with harsh chemicals, toxins and other poor quality ingredients. They may make your dog’s skin dry, dull his coat or even cause a severe reaction. It’s best to look for natural products that will be gentle on your dog’s skin and promote coat health as well.

Eco Dog Care Pet Shampoo and Freshening Spray Review

I was happy with both of these products from Eco Dog Care. Our chocolate lab, who stars in my video review, has dry skin, and neither the shampoo or the freshening spray irritated her skin. The shampoo did a great job cleaning her coat, but I didn’t notice any improvement in her skin condition after using it.

The company makes no claims that their Simply Clean shampoo is beneficial to dry skin though – I just thought it was worth mentioning in case your pet has dry skin too.

Simply Clean Shampoo

One of the most common misconceptions about shampoo is that the more it lathers the better it cleans. The bubbles have absolutely nothing to do with the cleaning power of a shampoo or soap. Eco Dog Care products are made without phosphates, sulfates, phthalates and parabens. These harsh chemicals are what make traditional pet shampoos have a rich lather.

I didn’t miss the lather at all. I will admit that I was one of those pet owners that thought a rich lather meant a better clean. I just added a little more water to make it easier to work the shampoo into Saddie’s coat. It’s worth that little extra hassle to know that the shampoo I’m using is safe for her.

Eco Dog Care Simply Clean Shampoo was created using a plant-based cleanser that is pH balanced for dogs. That cleanser is infused with essential oils lemongrass, peppermint, lavender, myrrh, bergamot and ylang-ylang. These essential oils help to cleanse, soothe and moisturize your dog’s coat.

One of the things that I always look for when buying shampoo is compatibility with flea treatments. We use a topical treatment for our dogs, so I don’t use a dog shampoo that will wash it off. Simply Clean from Eco Dog Care is not only compatible with flea treatments, but some of the essential oils that it is made with are natural flea and tick repellants.

I was pleased with the smell of this shampoo. Some dog shampoos have a strong scent like vanilla or lavender. Companies use artificial ingredients to make these scents very strong. It’s too strong for my liking. Simply Clean leaves a nice herbal aroma that is not overpowering.

A 16 oz. bottle of Simply Clean is $17.95 on the company’s website.

Simply Fresh Spray

To keep your dog smelling fresh between baths, you can try Eco Dog Care’s Simply Fresh spray. This product also has a clean, herbal scent. Basil, bergamot, sage, red thyme, vanilla and ylang-ylang are used to add scent to this spray.

It is also infused with aloe vera and avocado to enhance the shine and softness of your dog’s coat. This should also make brushing out tangles much easier. I don’t have dogs with long hair, so I’m not sure that it is effective on tangles, but it definitely made Saddie’s coat shinier and much smoother.

I used peppermint and lemongrass to make a homemade flea and tick repellant spray for my dogs last year, and it worked great! Since I live in Maine, we don’t worry much about ticks in the winter, but there are a lot of them around in the summer. My homemade spray kept the ticks away all year, so I was pleased to see that this product uses the same two essential oils to naturally repel pests.

Eco Dog Care also adds cedar and geranium as natural flea and tick repellents. We use a topical treatment on our dogs as well. It’s all natural and our vet told us we should boost its effectiveness with an all-natural spray if we’re going for a hike or camping. I like that this freshening spray incorporates the natural treatment that I was already using and adds more benefits, like a shiny and healthy coat, as well.

An 8 oz. bottle of Simpy Fresh is $14.95 on the company’s website.

Summary of Eco Dog Care Pet Shampoo and Freshening Spray Review

PROS: These products:

• are all-natural
  • repel fleas, ticks and other pests
  • Simply Clean works deep down to completely clean your pet’s skin and coat
  • Simply Fresh usually natural fragrances to keep your dog smelling great between baths

CONS: Both dog shampoo and freshening spray are a bit more expensive than other grooming products, but they are all-natural and much safer and healthier for your dog. The shampoo isn’t designed for dog’s with sensitive skin, dry skin or skin allergies.

Because it’s all-natural, it shouldn’t irritate your pet’s skin, but you may want to try one of the smaller “starter kit” that come with a 4 oz. bottle of each product just to make sure your dog won’t have any negative reaction to either product.

Now it’s your turn

Reviews & Comments

Related posts