Taste of the wild dry dog food review

In the below Taste of the Wild dry dog food review I write about my experience with this brand. For a more scientific evaluation of the ingredients, I highly recommend reading NextGen Dog’s Taste of the Wild dog food review.

A while ago, my dog had stopped taking any interest in the kibble I was feeding her — I guess dogs also get tired of certain types of food, go figure. I took her to the vet and I was told that everything was a-okay with Sophie, and maybe I should change her diet.

I did, and for the first time I went with Taste of the Wild dry dog food based on reviews. But let’s not jump ahead too quickly.

I’m going to backtrack a little to give you more details on what was going on with Sophie. My problem was mostly because she was eating far less than she used to and the impact of her reduced appetite had become obvious to me. She had become quite lethargic now and it seemed that her weight was fluctuating, although I did not weigh her.

Obviously I wanted my dog to be the same energetic, playful dog that I knew her to be. At that point, the vet told me that she wasn’t suffering from any diseases or illnesses. She was healthy physically (except for the fact that she could lose a few pounds) but her temperament itself had changed a lot- she turned into English Bulldog.

Find-Dog-Supplies-Products-on-AmazonAt this point I figured that it has to be my dog’s food and decided to try out a new diet for her.

I looked for different types of dog foods and went through various forums online. I had asked several owners if they had faced similar issues. I also inquired them about their take on various dog foods. Then, I searched through Amazon. After my research, it seemed that Taste of the Wild dry dog food products were the most popular and unanimously positively reviewed option.

This seemed to be a promising product and people were raving about its quality online. Naturally, as I’m a hype-driven person, I wanted to see what the big deal was and so I bought two 30-pound hi prairie canine formula bags with roasted bison and venison for Sophie to snack on.

I always pay very close attention to ingredients, customer reviews and also other products a company has to offer when determining whether or not I should buy something for my pet. In my opinion, when a company offers way too many things, it might not be great in one particular area, but this wasn’t the case.

Key benefits of Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food

• Very highly customer-rated dog food product on Amazon.
  • High in protein: Dogs are carnivores, and they need meat. The higher protein percentage in the product, the better. Additionally, after a prolonged period of time, I noticed an improvement in my dog’s fur. It is slightly thicker than it has ever been before.
  • Suitable for all dogs: Any dog of any breed or size would benefit can consume this kibble.
  • Antioxidants: Antioxidants are beneficial to dogs just as they are to us and Taste of the Wild is full of them. My dog is much more active and playful than she used to be.
  • Contains real, roasted meat: My dog is addicted to this particular brand because it tastes like real meat. It seems to be delicious to her and the best part is that my dog’s breath doesn’t smell as bad as it used to as well.

Video: Taste Of The Wild Dry Dog Food Review Summary Video

• Grain-free: I loved the fact that the product doesn’t consist of any grains. Dogs don’t need them!
  • Affordable: Actually, not that high in price. I was surprised to see that the 30 lbs bag was so decently priced, as I I expected it to cost a fortune based on all the hype and reviews found online.

Video: Taste Of The Wild Dry Dog Food Review Summary Video

• Fruits and vegetables: Due to vitamins and high fiber content, Sophie’s number-two have never been so consistent and firm. I am also glad that she gets to enjoy the benefits of fruits. She digests it easily and her bowel movements are far more regular.
  • High quality: Premium quality ingredients.
  • Improves immune system: I can’t vouch for this myself as I haven’t used the kibble for that long, but apparently, it should improve your dog’s immune system as some other reviewers pointed out. We’ll see, fingers crossed.

Nutrition of Taste of the Wild kibble

The product that I chose to review here is Taste of the Wild high prairie canine formula with bison and roasted venison.

Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum
Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed- Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Ingredients: Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, egg product, beef, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, potato protein, pea protein, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus reuteri, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

* Taste of the Wild’s High Prairie Canine Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Feeding guidelines

Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food Review

Review of Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food

As I’ve pointed out in the beginning of this review, I had tried feeding my Beagle Sophie various types of dog foods. She never really liked them as much. She would eat half-heartedly and then walk away.

I would have to ask her (read: make her) to finish her food and if that didn’t work, I’d be forced to give her treats. But as any dog owner knows, biscuits can only be a temporary solution, and not a good one at that either. Sophie had started to gain weight and she had become very lethargic over the weeks, too.

I know that blueberries and raspberries are packed with antioxidants, and so I loved the fact that Taste of the Wild had used these ingredients in their products. This could be the reason why other dog owners noticed an improvement in their pup’s immune system, but who knows.

I also liked that the hi prairie canine formula was high in proteins and low in fats. After about 2 months, Sophie has finally started losing fat. However, not only has Sophie’s weight returned to normal, she is a lot more active, too. I started taking her on runs with me occasionally.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Sophie’s fur had become a lot shinier than it was before. It has never looked this healthy. It’s far more voluminous and the best part is that the shine is always there. Granted, she doesn’t have a lot of it, but it’s still clearly visible. Bowel movements have also improved and her feces are firm and consistent on a daily basis.

Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars

For more specific questions, try the Q&A section on this product’s Amazon page.

D. Eberhardt’s review (Read the full Amazon review): “I have the lazy couch potato dog that the first reviewer described. An overweight black lab adult female who is quite lazy. Switching foods from Purina to TOTW Bison, and not measuring daily feedings, and feeding her as she pleases, she has more energy, is more playful, and has already lost 10lbs. and…” 5 out of 5

Eric’s review (Read the full Amazon review): “First of all I would like to say that my puppy LOVES this food! I have a 4 month old Lhasa Apso and he licks his bowl well after he has finished eating. When I first got him the breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow. The first thing I wanted to do was…” 5 out of 5

AmieO’s review (Read the full Amazon review): “Ok I myself don’t love it because I have yet to taste it, but both my dogs look forward to it like nobody’s business. We have one girl that gets ear infections with any sort of grain inclusive dog food and as much as I love my dogs, spending $65 on 20lbs of food is just not in my budget. Taste of the Wild fits in perfectly! I have…” 5 out of 5

What to consider before buying

While Taste of the Wild dry dog food should be very beneficial for your dog in several ways, there is one side effect any dog owner should consider before purchasing it.

Can be addictive!Yes, that’s true — there were times when I had to hide the product from Sophie because she was so fond of it. She would nudge at me to give it to her whenever she’d see me standing next to it in the kitchen.

Allergies. Do check the ingredients list before feeding this product to your dog. Grain-free products might consist of other ingredients that could trigger an allergic reaction for your pup, so make sure that doesn’t happen.

Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food Review

Conclusion of Taste of the Wild review

Overall, I love the effect that this product has on Sophie. Her health has improved and she is a lot more active than she has been in a long time.

The hi prairie canine formula has high meat content which means that it is rich in protein. The antioxidants and high fiber content take care of bacteria, toxins and waste material building up in your dog’s system. It consists of high quality ingredients and you won’t have to worry about any grain-induced allergies either.

The only con to the product is that your dog will want more. Other than that, there was nothing that I didn’t like about the product. My canine seems to think that it tastes great and it definitely packs everything a dog needs to be and look healthy. It’s also affordable for the quality that manufacturer offers.

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Like this? SUBSCRIBE for more actionable tips for dog owners!
Thanks for subscribing! Please check your email for further instructions.
  • TAGS
  • Natural Food
  • Puppies
Facebook
Twitter
Previous articleInstinct Raw Dog Food Review Nature’s Variety Raw Boost

Video: Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food - Preview

Next articleWhat is Dogs Trust UK?
Angela Sawyer
Angela is a long-time writer on anything dogs. After growing up in a household full of pets, Angela`s love for dogs has only grown stronger, and now she’s stirring the ship of Top Dog Tips and is at the helm of everything that involves using dog products.
Best Male Dog Names and How To Pick the Best Name for A Male Dog
How-To
PETMAKER Puppy Potty Trainer Reviewvideo
Reviews
AmazonBasics Puppy Pee Pads Reviewvideo
Puppies
All Absorb Puppy Pee Pad Reviewvideo
Puppies
The Humanization of Dog Foodvideo
Podcast
Best Dog Breed Quiz
Breeds