Officer shatters window of hot car to rescue the tiny puppy that’s crying inside

Video: Officer Smashes Window To Rescue Puppy From Hot Car

Temperatures had reached above 90 degrees in Pensacola, Florida when the police department received two calls about distressed dogs who were locked in cars in a mall parking lot.

The first dog’s owners returned to the car as Officer Anthony Giorgio showed up. The second dog was not so lucky, and cried as the officer quickly came up with a game plan. He tried to get into the car without causing damage, but when that didn’t work, he consulted his sergeant for plan B.

“I’m putting my hands in the window, I get on the radio and call my sergeant and he tells me to get in it,” Giorgio said in a story by ABC News.

The rescue was caught on the officer’s body camera. Watch the ABC News clip, including footage of the incident:

(The sound of those baby’s cries are just heartbreaking!)

With no other alternative, he shattered the window with his baton. The puppy was safe from the raining shards because he was lying under the back seat. (It’s unclear whether he had ducked there for shade, or his owners had left him there.)

A crowd gathered and tried to help as Giorgio worked to cool the struggling puppy. He gave the baby some water and took him to the air conditioned patrol car. According to the news story, the inside temperature of the car he’d been rescued from was upwards of 150 degrees. But miraculously, this little guy survived.

When the owners returned, these first-time offenders were cited with a $150 fine for Cruelty to Animals. Had the puppy passed away, they could’ve been slammed with criminal charges.

However, the puppy was given back to them.

“The dog was returned to them because it was such a young puppy that we just wanted to make sure it got back with its mother where it would be OK,” said John Robinson with the Escambia County Animal Services in the ABC story.

While there’s no doubt that the best place for a newborn puppy is with its mother, we’re not quite sure why this one was allowed to go home with such neglectful owners. We’re hoping that there’s more to the story that has yet to be uncovered, and measures will be taken to ensure the continued safety of the puppy.

Despite the questionable choice to release the pup back to his owners, the Pensacola Police Department Facebook page posted this warning to pet parents who leave their dogs in the car:

Don’t. Just don’t. If you leave your dog in a hot car and that dog is suffering, we will do whatever we have to do to free him. Or her. Doesn’t matter, we like both kinds of dogs. We will drive your pooch to the caring folks at the Escambia County Animal Shelter and we will drop you off with the caring folks at the Escambia County Detention Facility. You will both receive attention, food, and shelter, albeit different kinds. So, don’t.

Video: Officer breaks window to rescue toddler trapped in hot car

We hope this pup finds himself in a loving forever home, wherever that may be.

Think you see a dog with heat stroke? Know the signs and the next steps to take.

Video: WATCH: Police Officer Smashes Window to Rescue Puppy From Sweltering Car in Florida

(h/t: ABC 13)

Reviews & Comments

Related posts